Where is sample tagging metadata stored?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Where is sample tagging metadata stored?

Post by SvenH » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 am

To tag all my custom samples myself in Live 12:s tagging system is a serious investment of time. Before doing this, I want to make sure it is worth the effort. Is it future safe? Where is this metadata stored? Can I make backup of this? Is it a big database file somewhere, or is it a metadata file for each sample? What happens if I move my samples to another folder on the drive? What happens if I for some reason need to reinstall Live on my computer? If I tag samples on my desktop computer, can I transfer the tags to my laptop?

B4L

Re: Where is sample tagging metadata stored?

Post by B4L » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:36 am

Good question, am also interested in finding this out

B4L

Post by B4L » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 pm

Just did some tests on Windows, and when you tag one or more samples in a folder, Ableton creates a new folder underneath named 'Ableton Folder Info' with an XMP file inside containing the details of the tags and which samples they apply to.

This folder and XMP file was automatically synced by Google Drive, and I was able to download to my other computer and the custom tags were available in the browser without me needing to do anything.

If you have multiple folders and subfolders containing tagged samples, there will be multiple 'Ableton Folder Info' folders and multiple XMP files.

For tagging of VSTs / Devices / etc, these look like they are stored in XMP files in a folder called 'Ableton Folder Info\12' underneath the User Library folder

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:28 am

Thanks a lot for your research - good job! :D Great to know!