Expensive update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
madlab

Re: Expensive update

Post by madlab » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 am

I meant snapshots, you are right. There must be some way to use snapshots recall, maybe something like "manual takeover" over automation, because like you I think this would be tighter with native integration.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

panten

Post by panten » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:18 am

You guys should try being a 3d Artist these days.

Substance Suite of tools = £40.45/mo
Autodesk Maya - 1 Year Single User Subscription = £1,640.00
Maxon Zbrush = £26.90/mo

.. and we're not even talking about any extra peripheral tools to do the job efficiently.

Moaning about upgrading every 4 years for a paltry £140 - £180 is kind of insane to me.

BarryChabala

Post by BarryChabala » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:26 am

Idk, i think its totally worth it. Lots of new features (having the mixer in the arrangement view alone is killer) plus all the new midi things, Granulator III, Meld and Roar are ridiculously deep, useful items. I'm satisfied. Still a few things i'd like to see but....

I've used Live for a really long time. I've tried most of the others out there, but for me, Live is the one.
BarryChabala.com

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 pm

panten wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:18 am
You guys should try being a 3d Artist these days.

Substance Suite of tools = £40.45/mo
Autodesk Maya - 1 Year Single User Subscription = £1,640.00
Maxon Zbrush = £26.90/mo

.. and we're not even talking about any extra peripheral tools to do the job efficiently.

Moaning about upgrading every 4 years for a paltry £140 - £180 is kind of insane to me.
Ah....the usual apples and oranges scenario

BTW this was the lowest I've paid for Suite upgrade.

I'm surprise the thread has not been moved. These discussions have existed with previous Live versions.

panten

Post by panten » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:30 pm

The comparison was to highlight value for money.
Apples and oranges are both fruit that you can eat and they grow on trees. Like your idiom, Ableton Live and all the apps I mentioned are merely different tools that allow us to express our creativity.

To put it into perspective, it's been 3 years or so since Live 11 was released. If you put aside around £4 per month from that date you would have enough to pay for the upgrade.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:53 pm

Lives competitors in terms of user base are all over the board, it's impossible to compare directly since Logic has been $199 and free updates for ten years; Reaper is $69 or $225 if you're an honest pro, and upgrades about every 4-5 years; Studio One and Pro Tools are doing exclusives in subscription form; and Cubase just changed it's model a bit. Bitwig it's nearest workflow competitor is $169 to stay current which works out to roughly $300 every three years if you play it right.

I don't see Live Suite at the discounted upgrade before release at around $185 as anything weird or overpriced. IMO Live Suite is expensive to buy initially, but the upgrade price is lower than Bitwig, Studio One, Cubase, Pro Tools etc. Only Reaper and Logic beat it if you were to stay on the latest version.