The new midi split commands (E and variations) are weird and inconsistant with rest of live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lincolnkid

The new midi split commands (E and variations) are weird and inconsistant with rest of live.

Post by lincolnkid » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:31 pm

So we have new commands to split midi events...
  • E - move your mouse along the note, click anywhere, split note. Ignores grid - in fact the grid setting displayed at top right turns to "off".
  • E+cmd - if you press and hold E and then press cmd, and move mouse along a note it adheres to grid settings, and the split point therefore adheres to the current grid setting. But still displays "off" in grid setting at top right.
  • opt+E - move mouse up and down to split note into a number of pieces of equal size.
  • cmd+E - split note into multiple parts according to current grid setting. EDIT: Can also use the up and down arrow keys to change the number of splits.

The issues I see:
  • Having E+cmd and cmd+E where the order of keypress is important is confusing and surely bad design.
  • In the rest of Live, mouse clicks stick to grid settings, and holding cmd allows you to override the grid. Here with the E commands, we have the reverse of this.
Terrible design? Or bug?

(I have also submitted this as a suggestion on centrecode.)
Last edited by lincolnkid on Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbenway

Re: The new midi split commands (E and variations) are weird and inconsistant with rest of live.

Post by dbenway » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 pm

I don't use any of the other features really and not disagreeing that this seems like a mess, but just fwiw I find that hitting cmd-e, holding then using the up and down arrow to split the midi note into equal divisions whether or not they fall on the selected grid combined with deleting or muting notes covers all I really want in this and works in a very straightforward way.

lincolnkid

Re: The new midi split commands (E and variations) are weird and inconsistant with rest of live.

Post by lincolnkid » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm

dbenway wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 pm
I don't use any of the other features really and not disagreeing that this seems like a mess, but just fwiw I find that hitting cmd-e, holding then using the up and down arrow to split the midi note into equal divisions whether or not they fall on the selected grid combined with deleting or muting notes covers all I really want in this and works in a very straightforward way.
Hah, I hadn't discovered that behaviour (it's effectively the opt-E behaviour but for keyboard instead of mouse).

lincolnkid

Post by lincolnkid » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:51 pm

(Accidental update.)

dbenway

Post by dbenway » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:01 pm

I really don't enjoy mouse and keyboard combinations in general, but it sounds like a nightmare for this.