use same midi messages for tracking and remote control

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wommom

use same midi messages for tracking and remote control

Post by wommom » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 am

ahoy good world.

i need my midi controller (motion sensors actually) to send note and CC messages that are received in Ableton live tracks as "tracking" information. And then I also need to use those same messages to be used for remote control of parameters.

I understand that this isn't possible without some kind of fancy shmancy workaround, since remote messages can't be received by tracks once they're assigned to some remote parameter.

SO what I would like to do is duplicate all the messages coming from my midi controller, and have the same messages appear on two different midi channels. Then remote assign messages from one channel and track messages from another channel.

I've been bouncing around the internet trying to do this but I can't find the solution.

Any ideas for a wee lad?

THANKS GOOD WORLD.

yur2die4

Re: use same midi messages for tracking and remote control

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm

If you can do midi loopback, you should be able to do both.

Loopback can be done either with software or hardware. It is the same concept of plugging a midi cable to the Out Jack, and back to the In Jack on the same interface. But yeah, software ones are available.

Once you have this, your midi data comes into two channels. One channel is the standard note and cc stuff. The other is going to be routed to go OUT to the loopback.

Now the Out goes to the midi output set up in preferences. And then back into the In option.

So. We get this far but the issue now is they they’re both the same midi message. And Live kinda handles messages that are the same all the same regardless of controller. So you have two options:

1. You can Change the messages somehow with a filter. This should work pretty nice. It’s just annoying having to take additional steps finding a suitable method for it.

2. Option 2 is to distinguish between ‘Notes’ and ‘Remote’ in Live midi Preferences. You want the original source to be only Notes but have Remote off. This means that even if you map the notes it is transmitting, it will ignore those and use them only as notes and not remote control. But turn Remote ON for the Loopback input. So now those same notes go out, and then come back onto a source where now the notes are being handled as mapped control stuff rather than note input.

Hope this helps