Ableton live for DJ sets

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sentrek

Ableton live for DJ sets

Post by Sentrek » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 am

Hey everyone,

I am planning to do my dj sets with ableton from now on (like SNTS, Paula Temple, 6jeou) and I have a couple of questions regarding this procedure since mixing on bedroom speakers is different than PA speakers and club equipment.

1. How do you connect Ableton to Analog mixers (ex: Xone 92,96)? Is it through a soundcard?
2. Is connecting Ableton to a digital mixer easy as in like plug the laptop into the mixer with an USB and everything is ready to go? (ex: DJM 900 nexus etc.)
2. Can Ableton be directly mapped to an Xone92 or 96 without owning one of those mixers? I am asking this since I want to know the steps when I arrive to a club with that mixer already placed there
3. How do you get everything set up easily without interrupting the other dj?

Sorry in advance if the questions are poorly written.

Thanks you so much 8)

yur2die4

Re: Ableton live for DJ sets

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm

I don’t want to destroy your vision, but with regard to connecting to house mixers you might want to be careful not to expect too much advanced connectivity.

I think it might be smart to use your own audio interface with 4 ( or more ) outputs and connect that into the mixer, then you can use their mixer to eq etc and supply audio from Live…

….but. It’d be even better if you supplied your own midi mixer and simply had a stereo out going into the house mixer. My assumption is that this would piss off the least amount of people, rather than risking messing with extra connections. Plus you can familiarize yourself with your own gear at home.

eldrazi23

Post by eldrazi23 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:03 pm

Hey that's a very interesting idea - I was going to give it a go as well, but using 2x push 3 in standalone, basically trying to mimic the cdj workflow while have the ability to add my own loops.

What I'm missing the most at the moment is the ability to loop a part of the audio clip on the go (to mimic the cdj functionality). I'm still trying to work out a solution but maybe someone already has?

Maybe you already discovered any other helpful threads on doing with push as well?

All the best!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 pm

Also, be sure that you're really going to have A&H mixers in the clubs you're playing. Pretty much everywhere I've played the last couple years is using Pioneer A9 mixers.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:59 pm

eldrazi23 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:03 pm
Hey that's a very interesting idea - I was going to give it a go as well, but using 2x push 3 in standalone, basically trying to mimic the cdj workflow while have the ability to add my own loops.

What I'm missing the most at the moment is the ability to loop a part of the audio clip on the go (to mimic the cdj functionality). I'm still trying to work out a solution but maybe someone already has?

Maybe you already discovered any other helpful threads on doing with push as well?

All the best!
We ran this exact setup with a Pioneer S11 between two Push 3's at Machina Bristronica.

Connected both to Link so that they synced together and jammed away for the day.

The trick is to create everything in advance so if you think you need sections that can loop create them as clips.

This playlist may or may not offer some inspiration - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... G5m9X_uv0O

I'm currently working on a full performance template for the Push 3 Standalone which will include On the Fly looping at some point in the future...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/okt ... formodule/

There are many things that are currently not possible with the Push 3 as it hasn't been fully completed from an API point of view so progress will be slow...

Cheers
D

Sentrek

Post by Sentrek » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:23 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm
I don’t want to destroy your vision, but with regard to connecting to house mixers you might want to be careful not to expect too much advanced connectivity.

I think it might be smart to use your own audio interface with 4 ( or more ) outputs and connect that into the mixer, then you can use their mixer to eq etc and supply audio from Live…

….but. It’d be even better if you supplied your own midi mixer and simply had a stereo out going into the house mixer. My assumption is that this would piss off the least amount of people, rather than risking messing with extra connections. Plus you can familiarize yourself with your own gear at home.
Cheers for the reply. I currently own a novation launchpad x to launch my clips and an akai midi mix for volume control.

I guess if I purchase an M audio 6 mk 2 all would be fine. Connecting the M Audio to the A&H I mean

Sentrek

Post by Sentrek » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:25 pm

Sentrek wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:23 pm
yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm

Cheers for the reply. I currently own a novation launchpad x to launch my clips and an akai midi mix for volume control.

I guess if I purchase an M audio 6 mk 2 all would be fine. Connecting the M Audio to the A&H I mean
Unfortunately I do not know any good midi controller with stereo out that are budget friendly so to say