Dock Plugins to the right side of the plugin chain

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JesperTill

Dock Plugins to the right side of the plugin chain

Post by JesperTill » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:44 pm

Hi! :)

I have an idea that I would like to share with you to improve the user experience / usability in Ableton Live. It would be a great convenience if it were possible to pin plugins to the right side of the Insert Chain.

Specifically, I envision being able to anchor certain plugins, such as the Utility Plugin, to the right side of the Chain. This would allow new plugins to be automatically inserted in front of them, between the plugins already placed in the Chain, which are arranged from left to right. This would significantly simplify arranging the Chain, as I would no longer need to manually rearrange the position of the plugins in the Chain.

One exemplary use case for this feature would be with the Utility Plugin, particularly when it's desired to use it as the last instance in the Chain for tasks such as Loudness Control, Mid/Side Editing, etc., which typically occur at the end of the Chain but are needed throughout the process. Having the Utility Plugin pinned to the right side would ensure its presence at the end of the Chain while allowing seamless insertion of new plugins in between during the production process.

So far, I have been unable to find a way to pin plugins to the right side of the Chain, nor have I found any relevant topics in this forum. If I have overlooked something or if there is already a discussion on this topic, I would greatly appreciate any pointers and would be happy to continue my inquiry in an existing thread.

Additionally, I have attached an image of the idea for better visualization.

Best,
Jesper

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8FMvb ... drive_link

MallorcaMalle

Re: Dock Plugins to the right side of the plugin chain

Post by MallorcaMalle » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm

Hi there,
you know that you can already just drag&drop from Live's browser every FX plugin inbetween existing plugins everywhere in a chain?

JesperTill

Post by JesperTill » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 pm

Hi, yes, I'm aware of that, thank you! :) Personally, I use a lot of shortcuts to search and press enter to insert plugins from the browser. Rearranging them doesn't take too long, and in general, the idea of the docking is quite niche, but I personally would find it very helpful.
Thanks anyway for pointing that out! :)

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 am

You're welcome :wink: