Plugins installed and working but disabled on older projects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tsourele

Plugins installed and working but disabled on older projects

Post by tsourele » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:30 am

Hello,
I ve upgraded recently to Ableton 12. In the beginning, some plugins could not be found when scanning and after reinstalling them or updating them, I managed to get them all back and they load nicely on new project clips. They all are visible in the browser content pane. In general I keep both VST2 & 3 installed.
The problem I have is with older projects. If I now open them (on the same macbook as before) in Live 12, some plugins are disabled within the clips. If it helps to say which ones in particular, they are 3 from Native Instruments (Komplete Kontrol, Replica and RC24 - which I ve individually reinstalled as well from Native Access to make sure it s not the issue). I can easily put a new instance of that plugin on the clip and replace the inactive one and it works, but it loads a default one and therefore the settings/adjustments are not maintained.
For the time being, I kept Live 10 on my computer, so when I double check and open the same projects in Live 10, all the plugins are active and that is what I find weird... I mean I didn't move them from their installed folder since I am working on the same macbook so nothing changed. Only an update to Live 12. What should I do...?? On some plugin like the audio effects such as Replika / RC24, I could load a new instance on the clip where it s inactive, and copy the same settings as those that are working when opening the project in Live 10. It just takes time to go over a bunch of projects and always compare but it s not the end of the world... However for a plugin like Komplete Kontrol which has a lot of tweaks of parameters for the chosen instrument, it s difficult.... What should I do...?
Thx for your help
Claude

cids

Re: Plugins installed and working but disabled on older projects

Post by cids » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Live 10 which you've used before was not Apple Silicon native so was using Rosetta and non-Apple Silicon (AS) native plugins could be used. Ableton Live 12 is Apple Silicon native so will only load AS native plugins, or you should use Rosetta.

Komplete Kontrol as an example is only AS native as a VST3, not as a VST2.

See this article:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... a-on-macOS
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

tsourele

Post by tsourele » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 pm

thank you so much! this is exactly it, finally a clear answer, cheers!
I assume is it now ok for me to live it with this 'rosetta option ON' going forward for new projects ?

cids

Post by cids » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:35 pm

I would make sure to update your plugins to the latest Apple Silicon version as using Rosetta will have a performance impact
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2