Live 12: Automatic track arming is driving me crazy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swingsetcommittee

Live 12: Automatic track arming is driving me crazy

Post by swingsetcommittee » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 pm

I'm noticing a maddening new behavior in Live 12 that I'd love to be able to turn off.

In arrangement view, every time I click on a region, or a track lane, Ableton automatically record-enables that track. Not only does this cause playback to skip, as Ableton has to switch buffers to record-enable a new track, it also interrupts the recording of whatever track I was intending to record, and starts recording OVER the track that I was merely trying to select and make edits to.

For instance, if I'm recording a vocalist, I am no longer able to select and mute regions on other tracks while Ableton is recording. If I try, Ableton will stop recording the vocalist and start recording over whatever track I was trying to click on to mute / edit regions. I never had this issue in previous versions.

If anyone could help me disable this behavior I'd greatly appreciate it!

Rivanni

Re: Live 12: Automatic track arming is driving me crazy

Post by Rivanni » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 pm

The only thing I can think of is an option in the file Opions.txt (which is not a new Live 12 feature). But since you have never had issues before, the question is how it got there. Anyway, it's worth checking the file to rule things out.

Go to your preferences folder and see if you have a file called Options.txt.
If so, open it, remove the line -EnableArmOnSelection, and save the file.
Now restart Live and check if the problem is solved.

ou can find the preference folder here. Adjust username and Live version number.

Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 12.0.1\Preferences

MacOS: Users/username/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 12.0.1