AI Drummer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrisaxe21

AI Drummer

Post by chrisaxe21 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:40 pm

Hi all

I need an AI drummer solution. I play guitars/vocals but need AI to add the drum track. Is there something in Ableton that can do this? Playing live with an AI drummer would be cool, but ok with AI adding it to prerecorded tracks also

TIA

panten

Re: AI Drummer

Post by panten » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:00 pm

How complex do you need it to be? Do you need fills and nuances or ok with just a 4/4 beat?
I'd be interested in answers to this but do expect a backlash of answers like "Just program the beats yourself"

There are a whole plethora of clips and kits available already at your disposal (presuming you have Live Suite)
You could drag and drop a basic arrangement and if you want to take it a step further get your head into the new Performer M4L devices. In particular 'Arrangement Looper' for some improvised loops and build-ups. Hook the device up to a decent MIDI foot = pedal and you're laughing.

I can't imagine any AI drummer would give you the level of satisfaction setting up something simple for yourself.

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:35 pm

And that may be the outcome of the post. Nothing exists.

But yeah, I'd like to jam away and AI drummer will "listen" to my riffs and play accordingly. Quite difficult to do programming myself when I'm already playing.

Think of it like a jam session with real musicians. You just play around, experiement, but ultimately (most of the time) play the jam in sync to each other's beats/notes/sounds.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 pm

I wasn't suggesting you program drum loops live while you're noodling on a guitar :D
I think we're a few years ahead with this wish.
There are a bunch of AI plugins and services that will generate drumloops for you but you'll still need to arrange those (whether that's in Arrangement or Session view)
  1. I think your best bet for now would be to set up a session view with some cleverly chosen drum loop clips i.e. Intro, Body, Rolls, Fills, Bridge etc. then map those to a foot pedal like Keith McMillan's Soft Step or something similar.

Then just trigger the loops you want and use clever Follow On commands so you do minimal input.
    You could get really advanced with ClyphX.
  2. Arrangement View - setup locators for sections in the Arrangement view and MIDI map those locators to buttons on your foot pedal. That way you can have longer and more complex arrangements than in the Session View.
  3. Find a friend who can drum, buy a bunch of beers and go crazy.
I have a feeling that that might all be too much effort for you.

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:17 pm

Your feelings mislead you. :lol:

I have a 10 switch arduino controller i made. Foot pedals connected that send midi signals, so i can already control loops. So, option 1 is already feasible.

I'll keep pestering ChatGPT to create a virtual drummer :D

panten

Post by panten » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:35 pm

Good luck with that, and if you do come to some fruition. Wouldn't it be fantastic to share that with the world.