Switch effect chain in session view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pistacchioso

Switch effect chain in session view

Post by pistacchioso » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

Hi!
I'm preparing a live site with multiple songs to be triggered / manipulated live.
The session view has 8 tracks (the first two for the drums, the third for the bass, four and five for synths and so on). Each "song" spans multiple rows where each row is a section of the piece. I mostly have audio clips that I made from the original track. In this way I can play / rearrange the songs live.

What I want to change among songs is the effects that apply to each track. For instance, in the first song the fourth track is a synth with an autofilter and a chorus, while in the second second the fourth track is a synth with a reverb and a echo and I want to manipulate the effects live.

I don't know if there is a standard / preferred way to do this. I'm trying with an effect rack that has one chain per track, so that all the effect racks for the first song use "chain 0", all the effect racks for the second song use "chain 1" and so on. I'm trying to make empty clips with an envelope that changes the chain to the one appropriate for the song to be played, but while it works, it only works for the current empty clip and as soon as I trigger an actual clip with audio in the same track the chain goes back to where it was.

Can you help me? Thanks!
Last edited by pistacchioso on Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Switch effect chain in session view

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Racks' chains are a good solution.
It's weird you're having this problem though. But the "quickest" way to fix this would be to draw the chain selector's automation in each clip.
Ableton Forum Moderator

johnsimmons

Re: Switch effect chain in session view

Post by johnsimmons » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 pm

I have basically the same problem as the op: The Clip Selector switches to other values than i would expect when i use dummy clips and then select another clip on the same track with no automation envelope set for Clip Selector.

For instance:
- trigger dummy clip with clip selector set to 10
- trigger any another clip on same track containing MIDI: would expect it to keep same CS setting of 10 if there isn't automation specifying another, but instead it is switching the CS to 0 or 127.

Writing automation specifying the correct CS value for each and every clip in the session is not what i want because i would prefer to be able to wander around in the song with whichever CS value i have currently chosen and not have it switch with every clip start. But i like to have a dummy clip to specifically choose a CS value if and when i want it.

Question: Can the clip selector work on a "last-used" basis if no value is specified or does it always revert to some default if nothing is specified?

EDIT: Upon further testing, it appears that the chain selector works on a "last-touched by hand" basis if there is no automation envelope written in the clip. If you try to play a dummy clip on the track before to set the chain selector to something specific, Ableton will just flip back to whatever position the CS was set when you last touched it with a mouse or controller. I guess i can work with that.