"MPE Control" Device makes notes sharp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Acidik

"MPE Control" Device makes notes sharp

Post by Acidik » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:19 am

Hi! I added some MPE Strings from the Spitfire Audio pack into a project, but noticed that they were being played sharp. After some digging, I found that it was the "MPE Control" MIDI device which caused this problem. I did some more experimenting and found that it was this mode on the NotePB section that caused this issue (shown below)
Switching to this mode fixed it (shown below):
Changing the "Max" control also fixed it (shown below):
It's worth noting that on the curve type with no breakpoints in the middle, the line doesn't stretch quite as far horizontally. This makes the Y value slightly above 0 when the X value was 0 (which aligns with the issue in the sound), however I find this strange as the visualisation on the device shouldn't actually alter it's function.
Either way, it's a pain to change all of these parameters whenever I want to use any of the Spitfire Audio MPE Instruments (as it's like this with all of them) - I'm asking for either a workaround or for the "bug" to be fixed. Thanks! :D

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: "MPE Control" Device makes notes sharp

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:26 pm

Wow, awesome catch!
For some reason I wasn't able to reproduce at first. I was adding an MPE Control instance in front of the rack but I understood only later on that you were talking about the MPE Control instances that are inside the rack.

Please report this to Support, thx!
I'm forwarding on my end too.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:34 pm

I'm not able to repro in L11, only in L12.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Acidik

Post by Acidik » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:37 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:34 pm
I'm not able to repro in L11, only in L12.
Yeah this only started happening after I switched to Live 12, so it's probably just the changes they made to the MPE Control device between versions which introduced this issue.