Packs installation problem (live 12 suite, windows 11)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bkg2018

Packs installation problem (live 12 suite, windows 11)

Post by bkg2018 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 am

Hi all got a very strange installation problem on my portable computer after I switched from Live 11 to 12.

On my desktop all packs installed or updated fine.

But on the portable, while packs are downloading they fail to install. The log.txt file in %appdata%/ableton/live 12.0.1/preferences tells me "Failed to create new pack directory" for each pack I tried to install from within Ableton Live 12.0.1.

Comparing the library folders in preferences I noticed on my portable they were pointing to Documents/Ableton/Factory Packs, while on my desktop they were on OneDrive/Documents/Ableton/Factory Packs.

My guess is I have an access rights problem on the portable while the OneDrive folder seems more relaxed on the desktop. It still doesn't explain why installation or Live is able to create the Factory Packs directory but not the subfolders in it. My portable is on Windows 11 Family (23H2), while the desktop is a Windows 11 Pro (23H2). It probably shows a difference I'm not aware of, and Ableton Live has a problem with it.

I have solved this my moving everybody to C:\Ableton\Factory Packs. Now the packs install correctly.

If anybody has an explanation I'd like to hear it!