Change in how Max in Live 12 handles the "Enumeration Icons"

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
perplx

Change in how Max in Live 12 handles the "Enumeration Icons"

Post by perplx » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:16 am

So I searched for a while about this but didn't find much anything. So first question is, where can I find documentation on the "Enumeration Icons"?

I've been building some Max for Live devices that expose some parameters to the Push2, using [live.banks]. Some of these parameters have values that are enumerations. I don't remember how I found out, but I noticed that if you put names of icons for Push2 in the "Enumeration Icons" field, you could have neat little icons that are used on Push2 in the stock devices, but for the parameters to my own devices.

For example, I had a parameter to select the waveform of an oscillator, which has values like "saw", "square", "tri", etc. I went to the images used for Push2 (located at "C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\Program\Push2\qml\Ableton\Push\Assets\Images"), find wave_square.svg, wave_saw_down.svg, wave_triangle.svg, and put those file-names, (minus the .svg extension) as the values to the "Enumeration Icons" field for that [live.menu]. Now, when selecting the nth item in the enumeration in the [live.menu], it will show the corresponding nth icon from the "Enumeration Icons", which makes it really cool to see the values at a glance when looking at the Push2 screen.

Or it used to with Live 11, it doesn't seem to be working now with Live 12.

I'm trying to track back how I had found out about this, but I'm not finding anything, so maybe I had stumbled on an undocumented, unsupported behaviour? I would be a shame, as that did make navigating through these devices a lot more efficient. This place seems to be full of knowledgeable folks, would someone have any idea about this?

Rivanni

Re: Change in how Max in Live 12 handles the "Enumeration Icons"

Post by Rivanni » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:17 pm

I tried the same things you described a while ago. I saw them in existing devices, copied things, and learned how this works the hard way. The lack of proper and complete Max for Live documentation is annoying.

My test device works fine in Live 11, but the images don't appear on Push in combination with Live 12, so it's not a problem with your devices.
I haven't had a chance to figure out why it's not working with Live 12, nor have I seen existing Max devices with working images.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:59 am

I don't think I remember noticing this working with M4L devices on Push, but it's nice to hear it can.
@Rivanni, I suppose you already reported this.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:14 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:59 am
@Rivanni, I suppose you already reported this.
Nope. Half of Push' functionality in Max has gone with the Push 3 technology. Ableton and Cycling74 are obviously aware of this.
I assume these renumeration icons not working is just another part that's gone.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:20 am

Especially with P3 + M4L, I ran many times in this situation thinking it was too obvious it didn’t need a report. Several times I did report anyway and figured it was actually worth it as the thing was unnoticed.
Imo you should report since you have a good grasp on the issue.
Ableton Forum Moderator