ableton live 12 - E and split notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mercury007

ableton live 12 - E and split notes

Post by mercury007 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm

I am on a Mac using ventura 13.4 and so far Live 12 is working well. I use a mac trackpad instead of a mouse. If I open a note editing window and then click E and mouse click, it will not slice the notes. On the other hand it will allow me to cmd E which slices to the grid and then using up and down arrows I can change the number of cuts in any given time.

The only thing missing is it doesn't seem to be connected to the trackpad in a way to slice the note wherever I place my mouse. The computer keyboard button is off.

Anyone else with the issue and if so have you found a fix?

mr.adl

Re: ableton live 12 - E and split notes

Post by mr.adl » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:31 pm

mercury007 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm
I am on a Mac using ventura 13.4 and so far Live 12 is working well. I use a mac trackpad instead of a mouse. If I open a note editing window and then click E and mouse click, it will not slice the notes. On the other hand it will allow me to cmd E which slices to the grid and then using up and down arrows I can change the number of cuts in any given time.

The only thing missing is it doesn't seem to be connected to the trackpad in a way to slice the note wherever I place my mouse. The computer keyboard button is off.

Anyone else with the issue and if so have you found a fix?
Working fine for me (on Sonoma). Click wherever i want the note to be split (the thin blinking vertical line has to appear where you want to split it), hit CMD+E and the note will split right there. If you highlight the whole note and hit CMD+E then the whole note will be sliced to the grid, so make sure to not actually clicl the note, just place the mouse curser above or below where you want it to be split.

lincolnkid

Post by lincolnkid » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

mercury007 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm
If I open a note editing window and then click E and mouse click, it will not slice the notes.
The latest beta has this:
- Fixed a bug that prevented the [E] key actions (e.g., note splitting) from working in the MIDI Note Editor when in Live’s second window.
Last edited by lincolnkid on Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lincolnkid

Post by lincolnkid » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:10 pm

And so far I've found 4 variations...
  • E - move your mouse along the note, click anywhere, split note. Ignores grid - in fact the grid setting displayed at top right turns to "off".
  • E+cmd - if you press and hold E and THEN press cmd and move mouse along a note it jumps according to current grid settings. But still displays "off" in grid setting at top right.
  • opt+E - hold the keys and move mouse up and down to change number of equal splits.
  • cmd+E - split note into multiple parts according to current grid setting. You can hold the keys and use the up and down arrow keys to change the number of splits.