Help a teacher: track volume infinitely muted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AM Radio

Help a teacher: track volume infinitely muted

Post by AM Radio » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:22 pm

Is there a reason why a track might set it's volume infinitely down?

For context, I am a high school teacher and we are performing a concert that utilizes a lot of synth and some ambient tracks. Our fifth track is supposed to start with an ambient track and a student playing a keyboard to control midi also cues up the ambient track to play but by the time we got to that song in our rehearsal running through everything it had somehow gone from being sound checked at an appropriate level to infinitely turned down. Is there potentially a shortcut that would do that? This has happened a couple of times and on different tracks too.

For the setup I have different tracks for each song set up with instrument racks and some pre-recorded ambient audio clips to be played as well.

Apologies if this is a manual thing, I'm new to digital music and trying to get it pulled in more with my classes but was classically trained, not digitally...

yur2die4

Re: Help a teacher: track volume infinitely muted

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:41 pm

One possibility is that sometimes faders on midi controllers accumulate dust and start behaving unpredictably. This could happen to faders and encoders. If you aren’t using any midi controllers, that rules that out at least.

gbert

Re: Help a teacher: track volume infinitely muted

Post by gbert » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 pm

There might be automation in the track that has the control set to the minimum. To see if there is automation first enable Automation Mode and look to see if it exists in the track. See here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/live-manual ... automation

Then delete the automation for that track if you don’t want it:
https://www.ableton.com/en/live-manual ... automation