Audio Stuttering When Placing/Removing Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pronouncedlucas

Audio Stuttering When Placing/Removing Plugins

Post by pronouncedlucas » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:54 pm

I have been having this problem for some time now, on multiple versions and builds of Ableton Live. My playback will be hindered in two main ways.

- Audio skipping a non-rhythmic amount of time while playing back or recording in a looped section (usually happens as its going back to the loop start)
- Skipping/freezing briefly while adding or removing a VST or AU plugin during playback (this happens with Native & 3rd party plugins, some but not all)

When these skips/freezes happen, for however long or brief, the computer is rapidly freezing & unfreezing. The orange microphone symbol in the toolbar flashes in sync with the stuttering, as if the interface is rapidly plugging & unplugging. If i disconnect my interface during one of these stop and go freezes, the issue stops immediately.

I just spent hundreds of dollars to have my interface repaired by Universal Audio, who replaced the cpu (this probably only affects performance of their own plugins, which i don't even use). The issue doesn't happen with any of the usb-c interfaces I use (focusrite 2i2, focusrite clarett, audient iD24)

My Setup:
MacBook Pro 14 inch M1Pro
Ableton Live 12.0.1
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo MkI Thunderbolt (Direct in w/ adapter)

New power supply, new Apple Brand Cable/Adapter

I can't find anything consistent with my experience online, but funny enough my close friend has the EXACT same problem and I've witnessed it happen multiple times.

His Setup:
MacBook Pro 16 inch M1Max
Ableton Live 12.0.1
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo MkII Thunderbolt (Direct in w/ adapter)

HERE'S A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM

https://youtube.com/shorts/KYWFZj3-tkY?feature=share