SOLVED - Problem with assinging MIDI CC 11 (Expression) to parameters in Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
florian_bl

SOLVED - Problem with assinging MIDI CC 11 (Expression) to parameters in Ableton Live

Post by florian_bl » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Expected behavior: CC 11 can be assigned via manual MIDI mapping to control parameters in Ableton Live.

Observed behavior: CC 11 is not available as source for manual MIDI mapping.

Already tested so far: CC 11 is arriving in Ableton Live, gets recorded on a track and can be used in realtime to control parameters in third party VSTs.

Equipment involved:
MacBook Pro, 13 inch, 2019
2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
macOS 13.5.2
Ableton Live 12.0.1
Expression Pedal: M-Audio M GEAR EX-P

Is this normal behavior or should I be able to use MIDI CC 11 to control different parameters within Ableton Live?

I found a workaround by using Live 12's new Expression Control, selecting "Expression" as a source and mapping it to other parameters. The downside is that I clearly hear the jumping between values when I move the expression pedal, so this workaround is unusable. If I use the same expression pedal to modulate e.g. the filter frequency of U-He DIVA, the processing is smooth. No matter if the mapping is directly within DIVA or done via Live's Expression Control. So I guess U-He DIVA is doing some internal smoothing to the incoming CC 11 data that Live is not doing. The same jumping of values also happens if I use the modulation wheel as a source in Expression Control instead of "Expression".

Any idea how I can use MIDI CC 11 to control parameters in Ableton Live? Are these bugs that I'm experiencing and should report to support or is this expected behavior?
Last edited by florian_bl on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Re: Problem with assinging MIDI CC 11 (Expression) to parameters in Ableton Live

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:21 pm

In Live midi preferences, the input for that midi device should have ‘Remote’ turned on in order to map things with that midi device in Live. If that’s not the issue, then I’m surprised it doesn’t work

florian_bl

Re: Problem with assinging MIDI CC 11 (Expression) to parameters in Ableton Live

Post by florian_bl » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:28 pm

You are absolute right. This was the cause of the problem.

I'm using an old MIDI keyboard to route the expression pedal through, for the sole purpose of plugging the pedal in somewhere. This keyboard didn't have "Remote" selected for the input port.

Thank you for your help! With this direct MIDI mapping, the control values sound smooth now. I'll still contact support and let them know about the situation with the new Expression Control device introducing jumps in values.