I think I've built the most versatile MIDI Controller (am I crazy?)

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Antigone

I think I've built the most versatile MIDI Controller (am I crazy?)

Post by Antigone » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:10 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been tinkering with this idea and wanted to share it with you all:

It's a MIDI controller that has holes in its display, allowing for knobs to be placed directly on top.
This way, the digital info you need is right where your hands are.
(disclaimer: I don't like touchscreens, I like to have a physical feedback)
And you can have as many "pages" as you want, your MS20 skin and knobs controlling your VST can become a Moog instantaneously :D

It's kind of a mix between Electra One (my favorite midi controller so far) and StreamDeck.

I have few working prototypes and have been using them both in the studio and during live sets (they work very well).

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts... probably just trying to reassure myself here and check that I'm not crazy and the only one thinking it's amazing - I think I've already fed one or two of my friends :D

(At this point I'm really not sure if I want to carry on this project and sell it, or simply use it for myself)

Would love to get your feedback!

S4racen

Re: I think I've built the most versatile MIDI Controller (am I crazy?)

Post by S4racen » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 am

So you're saying that all of the display is a screen with the physical controls being fixed...

I feel the same as you with regards to touchscreens for most controls but they do offer a nice solution for touch strip style control that you may consider, as well as menu diving...

Other than that though if the controller above is an indication of the finished product then I think it's damned fine!

Be wary of going down the producing it en masse and wanting to make a fortune, the likes of Kickstarter is filled with failed boutique controllers that offer configurability down to the user...

If you can lock this in to the Ableton Live Paradigm and extend it to include Channel Strip control and the like then I think it's awesome!

What's the underlying software??

Cheers
D

Antigone

Post by Antigone » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes the controller above is the current prototype, I'm currently working on the next version (very similar).

I don't think producing it en masse is possible at this time: the time and care to build this is very high, and the components used are themself very pricey.. so in any case that would be a quite expensive product, a bit niche probably ?

But honestly it's a pleasure to use, I wouldn't go back to any other controller now.
For me it's been a game changer really.

It would be totally doable to include Channel Strip control and the like, if myself some customer have the need.
Today I really like the fact that it's totally generic and plug and play though: you connect it via USB, it's discovered as a compliant MIDI Device with two ports, and you have an interface to build pretty much any interface you'd like, just like Electra One, but with much more power.
We could add some more Abletonish features, but they would have to be on top of compliant MIDI I think, to keep this previous feature.

Software is mostly C++ / OpenGL

Thanks again for the feedbacks !

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:51 am

....intriging! But how do you do that? Where do you get displays with holes in them? Or how do you make them?
The idea actually is not so new, it's in fact almost obvious. But there is a reason why these things (hardly) exist. (They exist in the high-end audio world, e.g. the Studer Vista consoles).
And I remember a project (here on GS?) where they put the physical controls on top of the display, looked somewhat strange but kinda worked, but I don't remember the details.

BTW: I think in your design there is a major flaw. If you go to so much trouble, why do you use potentiometers and not encoders? And display the actual values on the screen? Even the simplest scribble-type controllers do that.

Antigone

Post by Antigone » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:17 pm

thanks for Studer Vista reference ! I spent quite some time looking for similar ideas and never found anything that came that close.

They're obviously encoders and not potentiometers which would be totally useless here ! The caps still have a small indicator in that picture (that's why I've painted them black, trying to hide it), but I'll receive new custom-made caps next week :)

Everything is custom made, the base displays are regular laptop displays, but I'm now switching to much more brighter displays so you could use this controller in plain daylight more easily. I cannot fully disclose the technologies used here, as I'm in the process of validating a patent.

What is the reason why these things hardly exist in your mind ? Too expensive ? Too hard to make ? Not enough interest, too niche ?

(I'll try to do a proper video/demo in the upcoming weeks)

Thanks !

CH7

Post by CH7 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:12 pm

dr_loop wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:51 am
....intriging! But how do you do that? Where do you get displays with holes in them? Or how do you make them?
The idea actually is not so new, it's in fact almost obvious. But there is a reason why these things (hardly) exist. (They exist in the high-end audio world, e.g. the Studer Vista consoles).
And I remember a project (here on GS?) where they put the physical controls on top of the display, looked somewhat strange but kinda worked, but I don't remember the details.

BTW: I think in your design there is a major flaw. If you go to so much trouble, why do you use potentiometers and not encoders? And display the actual values on the screen? Even the simplest scribble-type controllers do that.
How?

Well, I can see how you could do this by creating a sandwich. A transparent plastic sheet that you drill out and attach the controllers to, you would paint where the wires were routed so you won't see them from above. Then you just lay that on top of a regular screen, which you program later to align with the pots. In other words, you don't put holes in the screen, just the plastic sheet above that screen. Neat.

As for why you do this?

You could flip between screens, have different values automatically appear, do automation, and still have that tactile connection. You could even swap out one layout of controls for another. Not that the cost for screens are that expensive. Of course you could go the other route and lay sensors on a large-screen tv and treat it like a high-end monster touch screen tablet.