How to tell Live to immediately copy imported audio files into project

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CrazyManMichael

How to tell Live to immediately copy imported audio files into project

Post by CrazyManMichael » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:03 pm

Hi,

When I import audio files in a project (using drag and drop for example) the .asd file is created alongside the original file wherever this one seats. This is only after I clicked on "Collect and save" that both the audio file and the associated .asd file are copied to the project folder.

The problem is that the .asd file created at import time is left over as cruft with this scenario. Besides, while I did not test this use case, I'm not sure of what would happen if the original audio file is placed in a read-only folder.

Is it possible to configure Live so that when I import an audio file it is immediately copied in the project folder and the associated .asd file too or at the very least that the .asd file is immediately created in in the project folder?

I understand that the current behaviour might be desirable in some situations so that there might exists some toggle mechanism?

Thanks in advance

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How to tell Live to immediately copy imported audio files into project

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:14 pm

There's no automatic way to do this; you need to collect&save.
Ableton Forum Moderator

CrazyManMichael

Re: How to tell Live to immediately copy imported audio files into project

Post by CrazyManMichael » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 am

Thank you for your reply.

Using "Collect and save" is not a problem per se. My concern was with the .asd file left over alongside the original audio file.

I found I can sort of work around the problem by temporarily globally disabling the creation of analysis file beforehand, the only problem then being to recall re-enabling it later :wink: .

It would be great if Live would propose at import time if one wants to leave the original audio file (hence the associated analysis file) at their original location or to immediately copy them (or even move the audio file) into the project folder. Something similar is implemented in Reaper if I recall correctly.

To avoid cluttering and slowing down the workflow of people who may need to do this at a fast pace e.g. during live performance, there could be an associated global preference setting along this line (the second choice being the default to avoid breaking habits) :
when importing audio file in a project :
  1. display a popup proposing to leave the file to its original location / make and use a copy in the projet / move it to the project
  2. leave the file to its original location (legacy behaviour)
  3. copy the file to the project and use this copy
  4. move the file to the project
What do you think of it?