creating from lyrics first

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
grupps

creating from lyrics first

Post by grupps » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 am

Can anyone offer some tips on trying to find a loop or groove to fit with the syllables of your lyrics. Clearly I should have found a groove or loop first but its done now.
Ive gone through a lot of loops in the library but nothing is jumping out at me when dragging it in to fit the project tempo.
Havent used a DAW in around 12 years so very green.
cheers

Pierre Gé

Re: creating from lyrics first

Post by Pierre Gé » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am

Hi Grupps,

I'm not sure to understand exactly what you're asking, but what you said made me thought of this :

Bring in a pad or any textured, always full sound ;

1/ bring in a Gate sidechained to the vocals to have your sound open only with the vocals, or a sidechained Compressor to do exactly the opposite

2/ You can also Bring in a Utility device :
Automate the Gain knob in relation to the syllables : You can do this by hand for it to be tweakable, or use LFO, Enveloppe, Shaper...

Not sure if that helps.

Good luck

JAZMAN

Post by JAZMAN » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 am

In the past I have written music to printed lyrics as shared by others online. IE: I had no idea just how they heard them as lyrics.
First step was to tap out a groove and what helps here is adding space. IE: notes or beats without lyrics. Phrasing is everything, especially in applying groove to words. I have also recently returned to Live after years of using other software and I'm finding the rhythm midi tools in clips incredibly useful in coming up with grooves, especially polyrhythmic ones.
Biggest thing though is counting out the beats/bars per line of lyrics with sometimes a bit of minor editing to make them fit, but space is your friend.

grupps

Post by grupps » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 am

Thanks for the input.
Some handy ideas I'll work on.
Sounds better than trying to stumble upon a loop that fits, or that you have to manipulate.
Cheers