Recording DJ sets using live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vinkalmann

Recording DJ sets using live

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:43 pm

Howdy,

I'm going to be recording some DJ sets at Burning Man and was planning on using Live 5.0. Any quick tips anyone could provide. I especially would like to know that if I record at a lower level where there is no chance of clipping, is all the audio information there where it could be normalized later?

Do compressors work the same way on recording as they do with output?

Thanks!!

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention that I would just be recording a signal coming into live through a sound card rather than doing anything in Live itself during the performance.

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:05 am

voxegno recorder

its free, stable, and doesnt use alot of cpu

google it

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:49 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.

Does anyone have any input on my other question? Should I just be worrying about keeping the recording level at a level where it never goes into the red and then worry about normalizing the signal later?

Thanks!

Matt

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:06 pm

Check out audio hijack pro.
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

kennerb

Re: Recording DJ sets using live

Post by kennerb » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:30 pm

vinkalmann wrote:Howdy,

I'm going to be recording some DJ sets at Burning Man and was planning on using Live 5.0. Any quick tips anyone could provide. I especially would like to know that if I record at a lower level where there is no chance of clipping, is all the audio information there where it could be normalized later?

Do compressors work the same way on recording as they do with output?

Thanks!!
Curious, who's sets are you recording out there?

Sorry reread the post. THought you said dj's sets and not dj sets. heh. Where are you playing then?
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Well hopefully you wont be recording the sound of SWAT choppers descending upon burning man! ;)
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey Kenner B,

I actually will be recording sets from other DJ's at the Opulent Temple camp. I'm going to be doing a set using Ableton, but as far as I know nobody else is. It's funny, I still get blank stares when I say I use Ableton.

The line-up can be seen here:

http://sanfrancisco.tribe.net/thread/4b ... 15&r=10535

Make sure to look at Friday night's line-up

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:17 pm

Of course I wouldn't be allowed to record ALL the sets if you know what I mean :?

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 am

Wow what a lineup!
lOrin sent me his set list for the week so I'll def be there for that but I'll have to check out the Opulant a lot! Coombs, Oakenfold, et al.If Simon Posford was on that as well I couldn't think of more of a lifetime lineup for me. Dang!

I'm sure there might be some reservations about recording some of those sets but some times it's better to ask forgiveness later.

Keep your eyes out for a giant deep sea angler fish cruising around at night making realtime audio collages. I'll be using Live. Stay away from it's teeth though! :wink:
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:35 pm

The line up is pretty sick. There's also supposed to be a mystery guest on Sunday that is being kept secret for some reason. The camp should be awesome, it had better be with all the work that's gone into it.

I'll keep an eye out for the fish, sounds cool!

Matt

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 pm

Your telling me! I haven't got more than 4 hours sleep a night in the last two weeks. It's worth the work to me though.

Take a cruise over to Swinger's Lounge for a ride on the zipline or giant porch swing. I might be mixing a coupla sets there and that's my camp. I'd like to meet you. If not I'll do my playa best to check out your set. :D

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:11 pm

I'll stop by for some zipline action! What's your first name? Mine's Matt. What day are you going up?

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:59 pm

Kenner, Ken, or Kenny. They all work. I'm Leaving straight from a wedding Sun Night and will be there hopefully 9 hours later. Might have to hit some hot springs on the way tho. Great, look forward to the meet!