anyone having trouble with acceptance of your djing w/ live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
blakejarrell

anyone having trouble with acceptance of your djing w/ live

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:20 am

i have what i would consider a long standing weekly residency at a club (been playing there for 2 years now) and always djed the old fashioned way, cds and vinyl.

needless to say i got bored and was looking for something more creative, and being a producer, live sounded like gold to me. i now cut up all my tracks ten ways from sunday, do all sorts of things i would consider creative, edit on the fly, use effects etc etc...most of all i have alot of fun doing it and it sounds decent.

so i have been "djing" with live for the past 4 or 5 months, and people arent accepting it very well. im not having trouble with getting people to dance so much, but rather with ignorants coming up to the booth and telling me im not really a dj, im not mixing, etc.

anyone else get this? doesnt it make you just want to lash out irrationally?

:evil:

maybe im just insecure :?:

Carl F Leiber

Post by Carl F Leiber » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:53 am

Just tell them you are even not trying to be a Dj. Your just a person playing music and performing. The most important thing is the people like it and are actually dancing.

Argh, what the heck. Don't even tell 'em, they wouldn't get it. :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:03 am

tell them you aren't playing guitar either.

actually - I agree with Carl, people that say things like that are normally too ignorant to be educated. I would only try for an explanation if they are lovely ladies. ;)

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:25 pm

WTF???

Didn't DJ's get that exact same stick from bands when djing first got big??
not to mention the fact that using Live is MUCH more complicated than DJing.

Next time say something like "Thank you! I've been telling people that for AGES, FINALLY you're starting to get the picture, I'm sick of being called a DJ".

That ought to throw them off. :D
Last edited by elektrovert on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:27 pm

they think you are probably using atomix or even winamp to play your tracks....
ignore them :)

supster

Post by supster » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:55 pm

there's definitely a certain amount of resentment among DJ's toward using live .. ive noticed a few things though:

DJs that dont really produce or write music are the most opposed. it seems to be because they are very protective of thier 'status' as someone who has learned how to beatmatch records or CDR's together back to back in a set.

ie i think the harder it was for them to learn, the more value they attach to the skill. so if something comes along that removes that one bit of the equation, they feel like you're 'cheating' because its such a manly thing to be able to beatmatch :lol:

strange, but true. also - for some, DJing is the 'coolest' thing the know how to do. so if someone comes along with something that they cant do, it puts thier coolness in doubt. so theyre are afraid of it.

if someone produces or writes music, they know what live really is already so they have a good idea what you're doing, and think its rad for the most part.

in general: imo the more you get your hands off the mouse, and use midi controllers to get your hands free, the more likely people are going to be mystified by what you're doing and think its a cool thing.

but i think bottom line: whats coming out of the speakers is most important, do some things people havent heard in quite that way and do it really well, and everyone starts changing thier mind

thiers a lot of tradition and protectiveness in all of it, it takes some balls to go out there and pioneer, i have a lot of respect for people that are doing it.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:02 pm

I would LOVE to NOT be called or known as a DJ because I use Live.

I do FAR more than any DJ can do, and wish there was a commonly accepted job title for Abletoning.

proggybreaks

Post by proggybreaks » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:11 pm

Narrow minded people are going to "not get it" and will always come up and hate on anything new. It happened with hip hop Djs when they first started out. That's just what it means to be on the cutting edge.

You just have to learn to take the sh1t from people. I've been a mobile DJ before, and people have no qualms about treating you like dirt. That's just showbiz, even if you're a band, you might sometimes get booed off stage.

Anyway I've heard your productions and they are rock solid, keep it up, and for playing out, do what makes you feel creatively satisfied. But also remember that you're a performer, and watching a guy sitting behind a laptop is not nearly as interesting as watching a guy behind the decks. Maybe if you integrated a midi controller into your setup, it would help the "show" aspect of your set out.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm

I've even considered dragging a turntable or two along as visual props...

supster

Post by supster » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:29 pm

i think using more MIDI controllers and integrating a CDJ into your set is probably enough to keep people satisfied.

and dont stare at the screen the whole time ;)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:31 pm

proggybreaks wrote:Narrow minded people are going to "not get it" and will always come up and hate on anything new. It happened with hip hop Djs when they first started out. That's just what it means to be on the cutting edge.

You just have to learn to take the sh1t from people. I've been a mobile DJ before, and people have no qualms about treating you like dirt. That's just showbiz, even if you're a band, you might sometimes get booed off stage.

Anyway I've heard your productions and they are rock solid, keep it up, and for playing out, do what makes you feel creatively satisfied. But also remember that you're a performer, and watching a guy sitting behind a laptop is not nearly as interesting as watching a guy behind the decks. Maybe if you integrated a midi controller into your setup, it would help the "show" aspect of your set out.

i use this thing:

and i certainly dont just stand there. although my controller is behind my laptop, so people probably cant see it. i should probably change the position on them.

ive always wondered why people have to "see" the dj cueing vinyl, is it really that interesting? even when i didnt know how to dj, i was more worried about the girlies around me dancing than i was watching dj rollpills beat juggle.

i agree with supster on this, its always some wanna be dj that has something stupid to say, there are lots of em in louisiana, you cant piss downwind without hitting a dj in this state.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:33 pm

by the satanic warping elves of Sasha .. could you post a larger picture ?

8O 8O 8O 8O

I think it's simply because the laptop is so engrossing and gives more control that it can get in the way.

finding the happy medium between simply pressing 'next' and micro-managing eighty billion clips with a ferocious constipated look on your face :)

you should have enough time to eye up the crowd, not enough time to hold a debate with a trainspotter about the nature of performance.

and Hambone - you are joking about taking some turntables right? surely it's just spotty bald blokes that care about the tech side - everyone else is simply enjoying it. Don't pander to the gimps.

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:41 pm

didnt realize it was going to be that big lol sorry

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm joking!

I try to stay away from the keyboard and monitor, though, and do as much as possible with my MIDI controller. I also play live percussion, doing both one-shots and loops.

I'm not a DJ and don't like being called one! :?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 pm

blakejarrel,

i really dig the way you've set up the BCR.

it makes me wish the BCR supported OverLays similar to how the UC-33 does