crossfade via fx!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pixelmechanic

crossfade via fx!

Post by pixelmechanic » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:13 pm

Hey

Currently getting much enjoyment out of the crossfader mixed up with my pluggos!

I like to destroy a sample/group of samples in realtime, and the crossfader has opened up a quick and easy way to do it.

It comes in two flavours.

Vanilla
Loop identical samples on adjacent tracks, one set to Fade group A, other set to B, while Crossfade is set to hard A

Track 1 should be as dry as you like it.

Track 2 should be littered with granulation FX (ie slice'n'dice, gravy)

When you fade from A to B, the joy in hearing your loop seamlessly tear itself apart is immense!

Rum 'n' Raisin
The above works even better if you do it in realtime.

I've got tracks 7/8 permanently wired up to the master output, one set to Group A, one to B.

(I've also wired up the first 3 tracks to group A, next 3 to group B - it helps me think and is obvious when pushed and onstage!)

When I've got a groove happening on my group A tracks I'll record it into the B "buffer" (which is running some nifty sound destroyers), then crossfade over to break it down!

Summary
Who needs wet/dry levels on fx!

Pitch Black

yeah baby

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:26 am

that is very cool!

a tip o' the hat sir!

Paddy
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.4.1 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

pixelmechanic

Cross Pha(d)se Fake

Post by pixelmechanic » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:37 pm

Had another idea about this one walking home - inspired by Steve Reich / Minimalism

This time you've got 2 (longish, say 8 bars) identical samples (sparse melodic piano?) running, one set to group "A", one set to group "B"

With crossfade set hard A, set the start position of B to a quarter, half or full bar later than A.

When you crossfade over to B, the sample will 'appear' to delay/phase itself until when you're hard B, you'll have "pushed" your sample forward in time by your set amount.

Now repeat the process, setting A to start later than B and crossfade over again, this time "pushing" the sample forward again.

Keep on repeating as long as you like.

The smaller the 'step' and the longer the repetition the better - it's minimalism after all! :wink:

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:48 pm

Btw, you might have overlooked this - I did at first - you can assign A & B to more than 1 track each , so in fact you can crossfade two groups of samples ....
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

dBit

Post by dBit » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:15 am

hey, do pluggo fx take up a sick amount of memory, or am i doing something wrong? it seems if i have more than a few of the pluggo fx installed my memory just tanks. i'm running a g4 powerbook 867 with 256MB.

pixelmechanic

Pluggo

Post by pixelmechanic » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:40 am

Maybe this is more suited to "general" but here goes...

My usage runs about 50-60% with 2-3 more complex pluggo's running plus auto filter and filter delay.

I'm generally pretty sparing with pluggo's as they take up a lot of sonic "space".

Also running TiBook, but only 450, with 256Mb allocated to Live.

I'm kind of a less is more kinda guy so not worried about pc/mac performance issues.

Live certainly behaves itself with the above plus 8 tracks running.
pixelmechanic - sound vs. vision - appropriation vs. improvisation

www.pixelmechanics.com/sonic