For All Mac Users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

For All Mac Users

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:40 am

Hi, would you do me a favor please.... and tell us what your system is and how many tracks you get with live.

This is not a performance test

I just want to know with the different specs of macs that people here have what is possible, within live.

How many tracks and efx are you getting??? This will tell us what kind of Mac+Live lifestyle we can expect. this is something that the PERFORMANCE THREAD does not do?, so please oblige.

thank you

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:09 am

whats up !, I thought there would be 14 replies when I returned not 14 views, come on man lets help each other out, I know the performance thread exist, but it does not address this issue in this way, in laymens terms. ((((((( TRACK COUNT )))))
just list your specs and how many tracks you get, so others will know what they can hope to achieve if they have similar specs to yours and are intending on getting live, or a mac.

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:04 am

My modus is one sample, looped into a network of sends that each are filled with all kinds of effects. So the usual performance tests are worthless to me. For what it's worth, more important to me is how much CPU an effect draws...

-Alex

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:50 am

thank you for your reply Alex, I understand what you mean, now if all of the other macheads on this site would respond it would really be helpful.

how many tracks are you getting people

os

Post by os » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:11 am

I have a TiBook 667MHz (revB, without the level 3 cache) and a MIO firewire audio thing.
In OS X I get 4 tracks, no f/x, before crackling begins.
In OS 9 I've never bothered to count how many tracks I get - I run out of screenspace first! :)
Seriously, I can't imagine needing Live itself to be much better in 9, just the effects (especially that reverb!) could be a bit swifter.

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:44 pm

I haven't "maxed out" Live yet...

At most I've had 15 tracks playing at once... it was pretty dense...

The thing is, for me anyway, is it's less about the FX (although those can be CPU intensive... I've got it up to about 60%, roughly, on those 15 tracks, about 8~10 various FX on different tracks), but more about the hard drive...

I'd say I've easily got room for double that (a dozen various FX, and about 30 tracks... the drive would start gagging after that I think...

But, every case is really different... dependent on the combination you put together...

Running a G4 Quicksilver 867, 1.5Gb ram, 2X80Gb HD (one for apps, the other for audio)...

not much help, I imagine, but some perspective anyway...

tribalogical

twelve

Post by twelve » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:14 pm

i can get about 15 to 20 tracks playing at once with some eq effects and whatnot (not reverb) before it can become sluggish using a G4QS 733 mhz.

jdg

Post by jdg » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:32 pm

on my old 500mhz iBOok.. i'd get 16 trax with external hard drive before dropouts

my PC desktop and laptop haven't reached a limit.. (usually do about 20)

my G4 desktop no problems either with 20 tracks
www.google.com

best website ever

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:09 pm

this is exactly what i'm talking about, "perspective", this is way more helpful than those performance test. I don't feel like I can't be productive
on a mac now, but if I only payed attention to the performance thread I would throw every mac I see out the nearest window.

jdg whats the specs , and sound card, on that g4 your getting 20 tracks on? and thank you everybody lets keep these realworld experiences coming. :D

astromass

ibook

Post by astromass » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:58 pm

emac 700 g4 384 ram
i usually have like 4 tracks, each with 3 or 4 effects and everyting is pretty fluid.
this is basically the same for my ibook 600 384mb ram
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

jdg

Post by jdg » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:02 am

G4 400
40GB 7200rpm drive
640mb ram
os 9.2.2
m-audio audiophile.

hope this helps!
www.google.com

best website ever

salmon

BIG

Post by salmon » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:54 pm

24+ tracks
2,3 reverbs (first class)
all outputs enabled
plugins all over tje f_ckin place.
on a mac? no, on a PC

HAAAAAAAAAAA
i'm psyched.

jdg

Post by jdg » Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:42 am

is it fishing season yet?
www.google.com

best website ever

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:26 am

Power Book G4 500mhz, 768mb ram, OSX 10.2.3. 10 tracks numerous eq's and delays + reverb set on upperclass begins to be about the limit for that machine. I think if I used an external drive I would get more track count.

Office Machine, Windows XP, pentium 3, 1.4hgz, 256mb ram. In a quck test I gave up trying to max the machine out. I had at least 16 loops running with eq and compressor on each channel. Also numerous filter delays, and at least 2 reverbs on upper class mode. Thats all i can remember from memory.

Dual gig Mac G4, OS 9.2, 1 gig ram, external scsi audio drive, this is my full time audio machine :). havent maxed it out, but operation is pretty sluggish at around 15 tracks, probably around 10 eq's, 7 comps, 2 delays, and 2 reverbs.

I'm happy with the G4 Powerbook's performance considering the internal drive which is quite slow. Quite amazed at the office machines performance, and a little dissapointed at the Dual Mac's performance.

But I think I read somewhere on the board that Live has yet to be optimised for Mac?

yuval

Post by yuval » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:25 pm

TiBook 867 (half gig ram), 10 clips + fx, noooo problem.