a reaktor USE question (OT)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola

a reaktor USE question (OT)

Post by jeskola » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:19 am

Hi.

ive posted this on NI, but i was interested if anyone round here had any thoughts...

I have been playing about with SpaceDrone and Skrewell in Reaktor. Any tips on their use - for starts they have no begining or end - they just generate noise,... so do you just record in the audio it makes then use that - or am i missing the point??!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 pm

Hi!

I like those machines even though I haven't gotten around to playing that much with my newly purchased R5.

I imagine though, that they'd be used in addition to some funky, minimal, groovy, fat, glitchy beats. I certainly like just jaming with them - assigning my BCR2000 and tweaking away. Maybe you could sidechain a gate and let the beats pump them rythmically, maybe you could tweak the volume manually while adding some drums from Live. Maybe you could play with the control curves from Live to make the ensembles dance.

Do you remember when you used to just sit down with a guitar, piano or melodica and play. Just play? For the fun of it... When you didn't have the opportunity to record evertything. I sometimes curse myself for not doing that as much anymore. Even with Live or Reaktor.

From this day - I promise myself to play more. As in play and have fun rather than strictly composing and recording. Jam away you electronic musicians! :D 8O :D

Cheers,
Mikael

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:36 pm

huh? wha?

oh sorry...im still obsessed with fastfx

:D
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:Hi!

I like those machines even though I haven't gotten around to playing that much with my newly purchased R5.

I imagine though, that they'd be used in addition to some funky, minimal, groovy, fat, glitchy beats. I certainly like just jaming with them - assigning my BCR2000 and tweaking away. Maybe you could sidechain a gate and let the beats pump them rythmically, maybe you could tweak the volume manually while adding some drums from Live. Maybe you could play with the control curves from Live to make the ensembles dance.

Do you remember when you used to just sit down with a guitar, piano or melodica and play. Just play? For the fun of it... When you didn't have the opportunity to record evertything. I sometimes curse myself for not doing that as much anymore. Even with Live or Reaktor.

From this day - I promise myself to play more. As in play and have fun rather than strictly composing and recording. Jam away you electronic musicians! :D 8O :D

Cheers,
Mikael

yep, have a giant splif - get the cans on, stick spacedrone and twiddle away (don't get scared... )on 8O :lol:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:10 pm

Skrewell would be useful for sound designers, soundtracks, art installations, and noise freaks.

I love messing around with it. I'll probably figure out a way to incorporate it with something.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:02 pm

space drone can do some simply beautiful stuff with some tweaking... Layer it over any track you've completely given up on. I was actually planning on recording some looong tweaks with it, saving them as .ogg and having them ready to drag into any halfway abandoned track...

BTW, v5.1 will be out real soon, and they've promised some new instruments ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 pm

yah..this is actually a very good point. its been the hardest thing in the world for me to just sit and PLAY. it used to be a very easy thing to do...pick up an instrument/sit down at a kbd or cpu and PLAY. somehow i managed to get so uptight about it that i stopped making music altogether. im VERY gradually relearning how to have fun with it all instead of putting so much pressure and expectation on myself. no lie, the pressure to make something good will absolutely kill you sometimes, esp. when youre really being unrealistic in your expectations about how good/experienced you are at an instrument. for whatever reason, people really l9iked when i first started trying to dj with live-tho i had no exp. whatsoever in djing-usually getting something like "dude..you dont touch drugs, yet you make the perfect stoner music. wtf?"

somehow i let praise-which is nice-turn into pressure-which isnt as nice- and just quit music altogether because it made me so miserable. so now every time i sit down at the cpu, its a struggle to get started because im still faced with loads of pressure, insecurity, and also being a n00b to dj'ing. once i get over that hump and get something flowing then its absolute heaven, but gettign started is absolute torture. i had a great time last night just sitting down and doing the most simple stuff imaginable, but it was a real step forward because i hadn't tried to mix since the live5 beta first came out, and previous to that hadnt tried to mix since the last live gig i did which was something like may of 2k4.

so anyway, its of vital importance to get in touch with the fun and the love aspects, because these are the real lifeblood of the art.
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes