Cueing

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Celtic

Cueing

Post by Celtic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:21 pm

A mate is trying to get to grips with Ableton but doesnt have a soundcard with 2 outputs to monitor the sound level of the next track. Is it possible to get round this in any way. Like setting the level visually by looking at the level meter like on a DJ mixer.

jerry123

Post by jerry123 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 pm

Not if you are simply auditioning clips from the browser, no.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:43 pm

I remaster each of my tracks to the same level.

That, along with warping and knowing your tracks, means that cueing and headphones are no longer necessary.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:19 am

hambone1 wrote:I remaster each of my tracks to the same level.

That, along with warping and knowing your tracks, means that cueing and headphones are no longer necessary.
Yeah, looks like thats how its gotta be. Thanks 8)

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 am

You can achieve a cue/PFL out by doing a bit of creative wiring. Get a "Y" splitter and split your main out into 2 mono outs. Then use 1 for cueing and use the other for main output.

You have to pan your main out to one side (Hard Left) and assign the cue to the other (Hard Right). Use one track in the session view for previewing all your tracks, then drag it accross to a track panned hard left when you're ready to play it.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:56 am

Patch wrote:You can achieve a cue/PFL out by doing a bit of creative wiring. Get a "Y" splitter and split your main out into 2 mono outs. Then use 1 for cueing and use the other for main output.

You have to pan your main out to one side (Hard Left) and assign the cue to the other (Hard Right). Use one track in the session view for previewing all your tracks, then drag it accross to a track panned hard left when you're ready to play it.
it's easier than that. no need for panning just assign one side of your split cable to 1 in the routing and the other side to 2. it's easier to actually figure this out than to describe it... :)

saegezahn

Post by saegezahn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:50 pm

if you want to visually adjust the levels of the incoming track you can this in this way:
deactivate the track. the volume meter then shows how loud it would be if it was playing at 0db. now if you want to adjust the volume, use the clip volume control (not the track volume because this doesn't change the volume meter).