10 Things Abelton need to do

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
threesixty

10 Things Abelton need to do

Post by threesixty » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:58 pm

1. freeze more than 1 track at a time

2. bounce in place

3. midi volume for external midi instruments (dont want to go into a clip to turn the volume up.)

4. Automatically collapse/restore mixer channels so that you can fit more on screen in the mixer section. (i.e. even though you can make a channel smaller now, it would be nice to do more than 1 at a time)

5. Group mixer channels/edit channels.

6. Space bar should play from when you stopped play back not the begining in the arrange. Shift-Space should take you to the top. Or at least it should be customizable..

7. detach windows.. (at least the clip window) the reason for this is focus, and its the reason why pro-tools is so crap for doing any detailed midi work.
Sometimes you need to just focus on one thing at a time. You need to only see the midi arrangement for one track and nothing else moving around, distracting you. Thats why so many people like Logic and still use seperate audio editors for stuff. Its just mentally easier to deal with. (if Digi ever seperated the midi window in Pro Tools loads of people would find midi editing easier.
Also you can put the mixer and arrange on seperate monitors.

8. Should be able to delete a clip/track from right click on the mouse instead of the delete key.

9. Or better still you could allow the user to customize the right-click mouse menu.

10. How hard could it be to allow at least AU's./VST's to run on a different processor?
Processors are not gonna get much faster in the next few years. All the speed it being derived from multi core/dual processor systems. So unless you've got a trick up your sleaves, Live is really going to underperform against any other DAW. (PT 7 is multi-proc aware and so is Logic as you know).

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:13 am

i can at least suggest for # 3, if u put a utility plug in on a midi channel, it instantly adds a normal audio fader. the midi plug will still go on the track, right before the utility.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

serotoninsteve

Re: 10 Things Abelton need to do

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:58 am

threesixty wrote:1. freeze more than 1 track at a time

2. bounce in place

3. midi volume for external midi instruments (dont want to go into a clip to turn the volume up.)

4. Automatically collapse/restore mixer channels so that you can fit more on screen in the mixer section. (i.e. even though you can make a channel smaller now, it would be nice to do more than 1 at a time)

5. Group mixer channels/edit channels.

6. Space bar should play from when you stopped play back not the begining in the arrange. Shift-Space should take you to the top. Or at least it should be customizable..

7. detach windows.. (at least the clip window) the reason for this is focus, and its the reason why pro-tools is so crap for doing any detailed midi work.
Sometimes you need to just focus on one thing at a time. You need to only see the midi arrangement for one track and nothing else moving around, distracting you. Thats why so many people like Logic and still use seperate audio editors for stuff. Its just mentally easier to deal with. (if Digi ever seperated the midi window in Pro Tools loads of people would find midi editing easier.
Also you can put the mixer and arrange on seperate monitors.

8. Should be able to delete a clip/track from right click on the mouse instead of the delete key.

9. Or better still you could allow the user to customize the right-click mouse menu.

10. How hard could it be to allow at least AU's./VST's to run on a different processor?
Processors are not gonna get much faster in the next few years. All the speed it being derived from multi core/dual processor systems. So unless you've got a trick up your sleaves, Live is really going to underperform against any other DAW. (PT 7 is multi-proc aware and so is Logic as you know).
As workaround you can drag the editor window full to the top and switch with shift+tab between full screen and session view.
I would also like to see everything needed on a 3th called LIVEARRANGMENT screen beside session and arrangment, where you would have focus on all the essential parameters together, more like hardware.
I started a thread about this idea, please have a read and think about it, for me it would make it a lot more useable, more a Live tool as only a Liveapp on a monitor.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:12 pm

I have to admit, that's a pretty good list :)

xl5

Post by xl5 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:15 am

threesixty wrote:10. How hard could it be to allow at least AU's./VST's to run on a different processor?
But Live is already underperforming against the other DAW.
Of course the easy answer is: But Live is not a DAW. It's so frustrating to see all we could do with this fantastic program and hiting the wall so soon because of its unstoppable processing power appetite. Like I've said so many times, I am not investing an other cent in this program until we have a clear statement from Ableton on the subject of multi-threading. It's very easy : YES or NO and if it's a yes, WHEN.
Last edited by xl5 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:27 am

spacebar + alt = start from actual position

JeffX

Post by JeffX » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:17 pm

threesixty wrote: 1. freeze more than 1 track at a time

2. bounce in place
Agree with you for these 2 points :)
Mac Pro Octocore 8x2,16GHz "Nehalem"
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Novation X-station 25