What's the best G5 powermac for the money? Please?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

What's the best G5 powermac for the money? Please?

Post by smutek » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi,

I've come into a little bit of money and I am happy to be buying a G5 powermac this week but I am wondering which one I should get, between the 2 ghz and the 2.3 ghz.

I could go for the 2.5 but I am trying to get the most bang for my buck and also am planning on getting a 23" HD display.

I priced out one of the 2ghz models, using my student discount, all stock with a 23 inch hd display and Apple Care for $3097. Add in 4 gigs of ram from mac ram direct and I am looking at around 3466.00.

Although it will definitely be doing audio its primary purpose will be for my design work. I work mainly with illustration and layout work, photoshop and illustrator, no video (although I may eventually get into video down the road). As far as audio, I will definitely be running live on this puppy, but my powerbook will always be my tool for live performance. (For obvious reasons)

Let me also say that I run into very few limitations using live on my powerbook. Probably due to the way I work, and the only limitations I seem to run into with graphics is when I am working on complex vector illustrations with loads of points.

I am hoping some mac heads can jump in and help me with some of these questions.

Which of the two models, out of the 2.0 and the 2.3, provides the best bang for the buck? Why?

Am I ok with the 128MB GDDR SDRAM video card or should I go for the 256mb card? I do a little bit of gaming, but nothing intense.

I am very tempted to go with 2 gigs of ram over 4. I know more ram is better but I think 2 gigs will give me a smooth running machine and if need be I can upgrade the ram later. Opinions?

I never thought I would have to ask, but now that I actually have the money to buy this computer I am a little nervous and would like some buying advice.

Like I said, I'd like to keep the total purchase around 3k but I can afford the 2.3, and even the 2.5. I just feel the 2.5 is overkill for my needs. And its also funny, because I always thought I would just spare no expenses and get top of the line everything, but now that I have the loot to do it I actually want to find the best value and make the right purchase.

Let me also say that a windows computer is not an option for me, and I am not waiting a year or 6 months for the new machines to launch. I've been doing an ass load of work on this powerbook for the last two years and I want a strong work-horse desk top with a big bright display. I am also set on the 23 inch apple hd monitor, we use them at school and they are killer. And as sexy as they are I am not considering an iMac either.

So I am mainly looking for advice on the tower.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

smutek

silliwilli

Post by silliwilli » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:05 am

I can only say one thing.

Don't upgrade RAM through apple...its a rip off!!

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:05 am

Looks like, in terms of raw processing, it's the OLD dual processor 2.7ghz G5!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/25 ... /index.php

Funny. Maybe you should see if you can pick one up cheap. I suppose there would be other considerations for you like graphics card etc. since you're going to be using it for that purpose. Good luck.

EDIT: In fact, I see several listed on ebay around $2500 USD.
Last edited by buzzcock on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

inis

Post by inis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:06 am

silliwilli wrote:I can only say one thing.

Don't upgrade RAM through apple...its a rip off!!
Yes, this is a big no, no, dont upgrade ram or HD through apple. Just go to www.macsales.com. You can get original factory stuff for much cheaper.

Now, bang for buck, i dont think there is any reason for you to buy the 2.3. The new 2.0 is actually slighty faster than the old 2.3. This machine is plenty fast. Up until apple decided to release the collosal quad, it was the second most powerful machine made. ANd you are definetly not doing anything that i would consider to be intensive. You wnt outgrow a machine like this for many many years.

I would suggest one thing, do not waste money on a 23 inch cinema display. Yes they are beautiful, and now they are priced pretty good (since they just lowered it), but it is a hell of alot of money to spend for that much desktop space. For the same price you could get a combination (2 or 3) dell monitors that would give you 3+ times the desktop size. And the dell's feature much better stats than the apple. AND, its comforting to know that if one of them breaks for some reason, you only have to replace one $400 monitor and not a $1200 one (yes, i know apple care covers it, but not forever). Dell monitors are some of the most highly rated in the industry. It would be a mistake to overlook them.

Good luck, enjoy your new machine.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 am

Thanks much for the advice, I think even before I posted I was pretty much sold on the 2.0 quad.

Also, thanks for the advice on the monitors, I'll look into the dells but to be honest I am pretty much sold on the 23 hd.

Regarding the ram, I bought a gig from mac ram direct for my powerbook and I was happy with their service, I'll be ordering ram through them.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:24 am

I think I may have tainted Dell's name even more than it already was before Smutek met me. I use a Dell laptop and it is not uncommon for it to not actually turn on the first time I hit the power button and also many of you already know my problem with opening Live 5. The last time we jammed it took me almost an hour to get my soundcard drivers re-installed because my laptop was being retarded. I was doing everything right, but for some reason it does not want to do what I tell it to. When I'm in need of new machine I'm really leaning towards Mac. When my Dell does actually work it does what I need it to do with plenty headroom. From my experiences with PC, I would say avoid Dell computers like the plague. I have heard nothing but great remarks about Dell monitors. But again if you ask me about Dell PC's, I won't hesitate to tell you to run in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:23 am

refurb
refurb
refurb
refurb.

www.apple.com/store
click on the red tag that says "save"

i got a $1299 iMac G5 for $849. good as new, same warranty as new as well.
its riskier with iMacs and laptops (likelihood of dead pixels), but with PowerMacs, going the refurb route is a no brainer.

so look at what they have, and keep in mind that the inventory changes daily.
and buy what you can afford.

and i buy all my ram from www.macsales.com
same shit Apple uses, much cheaper.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:52 am

Good looking out. Thanks for that.

Ok, I'm changing the subject a bit. I am also going to pick up a low end pair of monitors, any reccomendations in the price range of $150.00?

I was looking at the M Audio Studio Pro 4's which I can pick up for $140 from academic superstore,

I already have a decent amp so I also am looking at Behringer B2031P Passive Studio Monitors for $159.00.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:04 am

Behringer = Listening Fatigue.
No Bueno.

www.studica.com has the M-Audio DX4's for $168 /pair
more wattage power than the studio pro 4's.

if you could scrounge another $100-150, the KRK RP-5's sound phenominal, for $300/pair ($250/pair on eBay). Samson Resolv 50a, $239/pair
5"/ 70W per side. Some listening fatigue but not as much as Behringer. Personally, thats the lowest i would go for usable monitoring.

also check craigslist.com

there's a barely used pair of Samson Resolv 50a's on eBay right now for $150 buy it now. shipping is dirt cheap too.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:14 am

I know they are out of your price range but seriously, check into Event monitors(TR8). A good way to shop monitors is to look at the EQ range of whatever eq, compressor, or filter you like to put at the end of the chain or closest to the master out. Idealy, the monitors you purchase will handle a wider freyquency range than what you slap on the master channel of your daw, aka Live.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:32 am

Thanks again Adam and Thomas for the recomendations, and especially for the heads up on the Behringers. I think I am going to check out the DX4's, they have them at academic superstore for $148 but I need to cap my spending there.

Thomas, you've seen my "monitors" I have now. 4 crappy stereo speakers. I'm definitely no audiophile and music is not how I earn my living, I just enjoy doing it so I think for now I just want to get rid of these crappy speakers and get something a little better and more suited to audio. Maybe down the road I will look into someting high end but for now I don;t want to spend a boatload of cash.

See, here is the deal. When my Dad passed away 11 years ago I was all strung out and what have you. My Dad had his Fiancee sell the house and had her put a chunk of the money aside for me and told her I could have access to the money when I was 35.

I turn 35 Thursday, so today when I got home from work there was a birthdaycard from my Dads Fiancee (whom I have not seen for 11 years) with an extremely healthy check inside. There was enough money for my Wife and I to completely pay off all of our debt, buy me a nice new computer, and have a little bit over to put in the bank. So I figure what the hell, I'll grab a low end set of monitors while I am at it. I just don't want to go crazy though ya know?

So, as sson as the check clears I am ordering all of this stuff, I shouldnt need anything else for a while, and my wife and I will be out of debt.

A good day.

Thanks Dad!
Last edited by smutek on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 am

sounds like a great plan, monitors are all relative, sounds like anything is an upgrade at this point.

and i'm about to turn 25 myself, thanks for making me not feel old about it :)
can't wait till i'm out of debt.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:45 am

AdamJay wrote:and i'm about to turn 25 myself, thanks for making me not feel old about it :)
can't wait till i'm out of debt.

eh, I remember back when I was your age we used to have to.......... :P

Seriously though, being out of debt is going to be nice. I am excited, but not quite as excited as my wife. She handles all of the finances, so all those negative numbers are always staring her in the face and she stresses about it a lot more than me. She already has all of the checks written out...

One cool thing is now all of the money we were sending off to credit card companies we will continue to pay, but only to our savings account.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:07 am

smutek wrote: One cool thing is now all of the money we were sending off to credit card companies we will continue to pay, but only to our savings account.
yes!
i can't wait to turn that $250/month that goes to my car payment into $250/month that goes to gear.

all do the savings account thing once i'm in my 30's :lol:

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:44 pm

No more debt! Congrats to you and Happy Birthday!

"Always were sensible shoes and always say please and thankyou, especially for the things you never had. Eat your greens, especially broccilli." Coil