5 Things Live needs to be able to do to compete.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nuvian

5 Things Live needs to be able to do to compete.

Post by nuvian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:28 pm

1. allow DX plugins

2. have the option to render each track as a separate file

3. allow the option to save set as a self contained zip file

4. allow "comp" takes. (great for vocal comping)

5. playback starts right where you left off, instead of going back to the beginning of song

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:32 pm

1. maybe, not essential for me
2. would be VERY useful
3. not really needed IMO
4. not sure what u mean...
5. maybe have it an option

but I would but as 0 - sort out the delay when moving/copying clips in a busy set!!!!! <---- before anything else!!!

Nod

Re: 5 Things Live needs to be able to do to compete.

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:33 pm

nuvian wrote:1. allow DX plugins

5. playback starts right where you left off, instead of going back to the beginning of song
1, Use a wrapper - there is a free DX/VST wrapper available IIRC.

2. Definitely

3. Use Winzip or, even better, Winrar.

4. Consolidate?

5. Doesn't it do this already dependant on where you've clicked in the arrangement timeline/session scene?

nuvian

Post by nuvian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:41 pm

How can I get hold of that vst/dxi Wrapper? Do you have a site link?

When I was talking about "comping" takes, I was referring to the way you can record a bunch of takes in Protools and then from a pull down menu you can drop in a take or part of take. I could easily open more audio tracks in Live and do it that way...just a convenience thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:49 pm

nuvian wrote:How can I get hold of that vst/dxi Wrapper? Do you have a site link?

When I was talking about "comping" takes, I was referring to the way you can record a bunch of takes in Protools and then from a pull down menu you can drop in a take or part of take. I could easily open more audio tracks in Live and do it that way...just a convenience thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated
FFX4 - http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vb-audio/us/pro ... dxrack.htm

As regards comping could you not just record the seperate sections and then, after setting the start/end markers on each clip, consolidate into a complete track/new clip?

nuvian

Post by nuvian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 pm

Yeah, I could do that. I was in a studio producing a record and they used Protools. They set it up so that they would record a whole vocal take (they did about 10 of these)...and they were all recorded on the same "track" but there were 10 takes (maybe they were virtual takes). Once we finished the 10th take. We could listen to the take and stop on a word we didn't like and highlight it and then keep looking through our pull down menu through the other takes and plug in take after take of the 10. This was all done on the same track without having 10 tracks opened below the original track. (I hope this all makes sense)

JeffX

Post by JeffX » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:13 pm

1. allow DX plugins

8O

1. Maybe....but you can use a wrapper (so not a "priority")

2. It take a little time..but you can do this handling! (it's not an "automatic operation" yet..but i think it's not a "priority" for futures versions)

3. Live can make "autonom sets".. so use winzip!

4. ???

5. Like the shift+space shortcut??
Mac Pro Octocore 8x2,16GHz "Nehalem"
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Novation X-station 25
APC40
Live 8

nuvian

Post by nuvian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:40 pm

can you explain "autonom" using winzip? (that's foreign to me)

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:53 pm

nuvian wrote:can you explain "autonom" using winzip? (that's foreign to me)
Live already saves sessions as self-contained files - save 'em to an empty folder and then use Winzip/Winrar/Stuffif/Whatever you like (or whatever the person you're giving them to likes best) to compress them.

gomi

Post by gomi » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:58 pm

nuvian wrote:Yeah, I could do that. I was in a studio producing a record and they used Protools. They set it up so that they would record a whole vocal take (they did about 10 of these)...and they were all recorded on the same "track" but there were 10 takes (maybe they were virtual takes). Once we finished the 10th take. We could listen to the take and stop on a word we didn't like and highlight it and then keep looking through our pull down menu through the other takes and plug in take after take of the 10. This was all done on the same track without having 10 tracks opened below the original track. (I hope this all makes sense)
use a clip in session view.
record into it while you have the loop on in the arrangement window.
the clip should just keep recording until you stop and then you can go and cut it up..

i think.
i am not at my live computer at the moment,

xl5

Re: 5 Things Live needs to be able to do to compete.

Post by xl5 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:59 am

nuvian wrote:1. allow DX plugins

In my opinion, Live already competes very well. In fact it doesn't really have competition. It does particular things that makes it what it is. What it really need is A LOT MORE cpu efficiency, that's where it's really trailing as an audio/music program. It's far, far, far away :(

1. Like others have said there are solutions so I don't think it's a priority.
2. YES, YES, YES. Amen. Yeah, we can do it one track at a time but it just takes FOREVEEEEEEEEER.
3. Nope
4. Nope
5. Nope.

JeffX

Post by JeffX » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:51 am

In my opinion, Live already competes very well.
Maybe video support?... :wink:

Because for the moment all the part who concern sound design and music synchro with video doesn't exist!
(I know the video doesn't interest everybody but all the same!...)
Mac Pro Octocore 8x2,16GHz "Nehalem"
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Novation X-station 25
APC40
Live 8

rozling

Post by rozling » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:30 pm

nuvian wrote:We could listen to the take and stop on a word we didn't like and highlight it and then keep looking through our pull down menu through the other takes and plug in take after take of the 10. This was all done on the same track without having 10 tracks opened below the original track.
That could really work as a creative tool in Live, IMO. It could get confusing, though, as to where your takes actually reside -- if you've 10 virtual tracks 'beneath' your main track in arrangement are they clips or do they belong to some new audio container :?:

I think it would work if for example you set a loop start/end in arrangement, hit record and each pass is automatically recorded to another clip (although you don't see them as you're still in arrange). Then as Nuvian said you highlight the bit you don't like and you can replace it with the corresponding bit in any of the clips you just recorded by pressing up/down or something.

That way Live would basically set the clips' start/end points for you, and you could do any further fine-tuning required. Then presumably right-click the highlighted section in arrangement and have it consolodated to a single take. Does this sound like utter madness? It works in my head...

I don't know if the whole competition thing is really relevant - Live kinda sits in a little area of its own I think.

protocol

Post by protocol » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:33 pm

nuvian wrote:record a whole vocal take (they did about 10 of these)...and they were all recorded on the same "track" but there were 10 takes (maybe they were virtual takes).
There's a quick workaround.

- create empty clip on record track
- set its follow action to desired take length (e.g. 32bars) and '999/next'
- copy the clip 10 times (for 10 takes)
- start recording in the first clip

Now live will switch to the next take automatically and you can select one of your takes afterwards.

rozling

Post by rozling » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 am

This will probably confirm my limited Live knowledge -- I tried that and can't record into the first clip (audio). I would've presumed I can since the track's record armed....