[Tip] Looping with Mackie Control emulation!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
iamabletonite

Post by iamabletonite » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:05 am

found 2 more

82 = create locator (in arrange view) not sure how the locators work myself
83 = follow toggle on/off
84 = replay from where you started your loop (hard to explain, try it!)
85 = ??
86 = arrangement loop

Michael Hatsis

Re: Scroll Full Left?

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:04 pm

studiesinsound wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
You can assign a MIDI note to Select Track 1( not via Mackie Controll ). havent tried it yet but assign one of the buttons on your fcb1010 to a random MIDI note, sending out on any channel other than channel 1. then manually assign this button in Live to select Track 1.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. That would work, however the fcb1010 can only send Midi Notes on 1 Channel. You set the Midi Note Channel Globally. So I need to have it set to Channel 1 to utilize the Mackie Control.

But I think I found another solution. I'm on a MAC and based on some posts in this forum I downloaded MidiStroke. A small application which translates a midi command into 1 or more keyboard commands. So I set the number 1 on the keyboard to select track 1 in Ableton. Then using MidiNote number 111 on one of the buttons on the FCB1010, which I beleive is an unused note by Mackie, I can use MidiStroke to translate MidiNote 111 on Channel 1 to the number 1 on the keyboard and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the reply though You were on the rich track.
It'd be nice if the FCB1010 could use more than 1 Channell for Midi Notes but oh well!

Just found another way to select track 1. Through mackie emulation if you send a C0 from channel 1 out of your FCB1010 it will select the first track. after tht you have :
C0 = Track 1
C#0 = Track 2
D0 = Track 3
D#0 = Track4

and so on probably till track 8

studiesinsound

Re: Scroll Full Left?

Post by studiesinsound » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:35 pm

[quote="mike@TrackTeam Audio"]

Just found another way to select track 1. Through mackie emulation if you send a C0 from channel 1 out of your FCB1010 it will select the first track. after tht you have :
C0 = Track 1
C#0 = Track 2
D0 = Track 3
D#0 = Track4

and so on probably till track 8[/quote]

SWEEET! I can't wait to get home and try it out!
8O watches clock
tic
toc
tic

faster..................

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:49 pm

All the knobs and faders on my uc33 seem inverted when I send mackie messages: sliding the faders up turns them down on the screen and twisting knobs clockwise turns them counterclockwise.

anyone know how I can change that? I thought switching the lsb and msb values would help but it doesn't....

wooly

Post by wooly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi

you dont say what platform you use
best to put this as your signature :)

if youre on a mac get midipipe and convert the message.
on pc you need something like bomes midi translator to do this
Mobile setup = mac laptop OSx 10.5, Live 7 Tacscam US2400, Motu 828mk11

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:41 pm

win xp , 3ghz

isn't there any other way than getting a midi translator? I'd be surprised, especially since I've read of people using the uc33 to emulate mackie and bcr....

wooly

Post by wooly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:22 pm

Hi
I havent got a uc33. :) all i can suugest is if youve heard of others using it then maybe find out what theyre doing or if they have the same problem.

otherwise a translator will solve the problem and open other doors to possibility

best w :)
Mobile setup = mac laptop OSx 10.5, Live 7 Tacscam US2400, Motu 828mk11

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:49 pm

problem solved, it was a so-called "draw-bar" mode.

though I still get odd knob behaviour;

I accidentally came across a mackie pan function, cc16 on general channel changes track one pan, but in the opposite direction of the turning knob and it only reacts to the positions around zero, but very strongly to those (as in turning the knob doesn't do anything, then all of a sudden it does a large jump)...

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:33 am

Machinate, thanks loads for that list of Mackie Control MIDI output and what it does.

I've been looking for something since summer 2006 that would make Ableton Live select, fire, and stop any clip I wanted in the Session view, so I could do some structured loop building, live, hands-free, with my FCB1010. This has been the most encouraging tip I've seen since the motherbrain5000 setup.

xrayfish hipped me to this a few days ago in that thread, and now I'm discovering this thread because of xrayfish. Beautiful!

wehurlbert

Stop current session clip playing

Post by wehurlbert » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:25 am

Hi,

With the help of others' posts, I'm setting up my FCB1010 to use Mackie Control emulation for real-time looping. What I'm missing is the ability to stop just the currently selected clip, in session view.

According to the Live5_MCU documentation, Zoom will launch the selected clip (works nicely with MIDI note 100) and Option-Zoom (on the Mackie) will stop the selected clip.

Does anyone know the note number for option-zoom? Or can someone with the Mackie check this an report. Thanks!

-Wayne

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:29 pm

I'd love to know how our MIDI pedals could do that without the need for something like Bome's MIDI Translator or MidiPipe. Here's how I deal with the prob: I switched the default launch mode to Toggle, instead of Trigger. It required me to re-think how I controlled Live, and it isn't my preferred solution, but at least it makes the following true:

When I kick the pedal that starts a clip, it starts the clip according to the quantization settings. If the same clip is selected and I kick the same pedal, that clip stops according to the quant. settings.

The main problem I have with that is when I trigger an entire scene, it toggles clips. Any clip that was already playing in that scene toggles off.

Another small prob happens when I trigger a scene and I've accidentally left some of the tracks armed to record, but it's not critical because I'm getting used to using pedals to arm/disarm tracks with my feet.

I should probably go see if Mackie makes a footy board like the FCB.... hoby jeebus, those things are pricey. If they made a foot board it'd probably be more than I would spend. Maybe I'll just stick with the FCB.

samplehead

Post by samplehead » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Has anyone figured out how to get exclusive arm mode via a controller? it works with the mouse but not with midi control for me :(

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Machinate,
You rock! Thanks for the brilliant discovery.
Am reprogramming my FCB using mackie control - I initially used the pedal layout setup in your post - but now of course I need to customize it for the project I am starting.
So my question> is there a complete list of midi note assignments for Live using mackie emulation?

Cheers
Chris

kugutsumen

Post by kugutsumen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:01 am

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Tue May 22, 2007 6:32 pm

iamabletonite wrote:found 2 more

82 = create locator (in arrange view) not sure how the locators work myself
83 = follow toggle on/off
84 = replay from where you started your loop (hard to explain, try it!)
85 = ??
86 = arrangement loop
84 is Prev Marker, so I guess Ableton Live considers the real start of your loop to be a marker.

85 is Next Marker