midi

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
midiman

midi

Post by midiman » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:07 pm

wondering to see if other users like myself could benefit from live being able to use midi without rewire
i have found rewire to be a drag to have to use a high end and costly program like logic or digital performer just to have some midi functions
would much prefer to make live my one stop production suite and be able to share my live audio and midi files with other users worldwide
yes i know that this program is not trying to be cakewalk sonor or the like yet am sure that other users feel the same :idea: :?:
peace
midiman

podprod

midi

Post by podprod » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:36 pm

some work arounds at the moment are reason in rewire mode yet even that program seems to be limited in terms of full functional general midi not to mention no freely placed markers..also with rewire at the moment lives transport can not read when you go between 2 or more different time signatures and measure numbers at that point become a nightmare to see where you are at..thus the need and request to get some strong general midi features in the program
best regards and peace
POD

vmc

midi

Post by vmc » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:49 pm

most totally agree that this wonderful program would be so much better and functional with some thought out midi features
i do not think the program should turn into a huge bunch of options yet a thought out midi plan would make this program simply THE BEST
cheers
vmc

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:08 pm

Btw, this was posted some time ago on the board :
I've got a plug sending midi out. The accuracy is not perfect, but ok at 18th bar at 130bpm. At 1/16th there's a bit of stuttering. The method I'm using is a bit crude, and Live's audio thread(s) has a very high priority so the midi I'm sending sometimes has to wait it's turn. It is usable though. I'm planning to use it to control http://www.VJammpro.com.
I'm not going to do a gui though so setting up a simple sequence will have to be entered into a text file ;¬)

and

Used Live 1.5 on Friday night at a gig in Graz, Austria with Midi out to VJamm triggering video clips. Timing fine all worked! Benn wanting to do this for ages.
I'm gonna shareware this plug for 30 euros. It's basic but it works. 3 weets eta.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

vmc

midi

Post by vmc » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:13 pm

looks like an interesting work around yet stability is a major issue not willing to use beta type software on stage hoping ableton might help to add midi to avoid such confusion as using work arounds thanks for the thoughts much appreciated
cheers
vmc

ENRICO from Italia

more midi

Post by ENRICO from Italia » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:52 pm

would most like to see midi included in new version to run all synths here at studio with audio with no rewire
the rewire is cool feature and rather would prefer to use only the ableton :roll:
ENRICO

podprod

Re: midi

Post by podprod » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:09 pm

vmc wrote:looks like an interesting work around yet stability is a major issue not willing to use beta type software on stage hoping ableton might help to add midi to avoid such confusion as using work arounds thanks for the thoughts much appreciated
cheers
vmc
yes,tend to agree with you here as the program is so great in terms of audio the midi really need to be solid and thought out as to not make things unstable
Keeping fingers crossed..any word out there on midi?
regards and peace
POD

DELLA

Re: midi

Post by DELLA » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:09 am

midiman wrote:wondering to see if other users like myself could benefit from live being able to use midi without rewire
i have found rewire to be a drag to have to use a high end and costly program like logic or digital performer just to have some midi functions
would much prefer to make live my one stop production suite and be able to share my live audio and midi files with other users worldwide
yes i know that this program is not trying to be cakewalk sonor or the like yet am sure that other users feel the same :idea: :?:
peace
midiman
i use logic for midi as well and am not quite happy on how live works in rewire for the midi
i to hope for more midi in live
DELLA

podprod

midi

Post by podprod » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:03 pm

my idea for live in midi is not to make like all of the other huge overfeatured workstations..but..simply adding general midi function as to improve the time/multiple time signature and tempo clocks as well as markers and the like..if these features could be implimented we could do without rewire..or alternative is to keep rewire but let the program follow the actual transport of the master..meaning if a 3/4 shows up in DP or logic then will also show up in live..without the actual position being different especiallt with measure 1 not really being 1 and perhaps measure 48.2 in live really being measure 47 because of a 2/4 in the host..
i personally would rather not deal with re wire simply to make live do a limited number of things not available in the current featre set.
If rewire must be used then i feel that the connection must have both softwares be in total sync..if live could add midi then i think we could all work easier in a pro recording studio..i am concerned should any of the major music software players add good time streching like live could easily leave us at the shore with this great program.
regards to all
POD

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:59 am

Does anyone know if this MIDI out plug will be PC/Mac OS9/X etc etc??

PUH-LEEEASE tell me it will be available for OS9 :)

Hey A-team, can you give us any hint - just let us know you're cooking SOMETHING up for us MIDIphiles... :wink:

paddy
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

midilicious

midi

Post by midilicious » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:07 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Does anyone know if this MIDI out plug will be PC/Mac OS9/X etc etc??

PUH-LEEEASE tell me it will be available for OS9 :)

Hey A-team, can you give us any hint - just let us know you're cooking SOMETHING up for us MIDIphiles... :wink:

paddy
Oh yes PLEASE!!! We are waiting
:roll:
more midi would be such a help with this program

saltydog

midi

Post by saltydog » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:54 pm

more more midi
please
thanks so much 8O :P
salty dog
:wink:

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:22 pm

It was said in the first post. Rewire is a drag AND IT IS as far as im concerned. Why run 2 programs when you can just as well run 1.

I beleive Ableton are acutely aware of the need for midi. They cant get away from it as much as they would probably like to. My only worry there is that it gets implemented (Which it will I am 90% certain) it may take away the simplicity of Live, or its implemented in a haphazard fashion.

I think all we need is basic midi with a decent editor like the Drum, or Key edit page in Cubase. Ableton Dont go all fancy and weird just to be different. Use the tried and tested methods of the other apps (Stripped down of course) and then stamp your identity on it with a couple of Ableton Quirks :) and Please DONT implement Score facilities. Ok there may be a few Live users that would like this but really it wont be in the slightest bit useful for the majority.

Also I beleive the midi editing should be done in a third page, or it could be done the same as the waveform view at the bottom of the page but I dont beleive there is quite enough room there?

Give us midi, but keep it simple, take a little step first and it will be fine because I reckon that most will sequnce up their VST and render to audio pretty quickly??. The way I will use midi is to write say 8 tracks of drums and once Im happy I woul drender them to Audio, and work like that. In fact I could quite happily work away with 2 tracks of mid.. Easy :()

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:23 pm

It was said in the first post. Rewire is a drag AND IT IS as far as im concerned. Why run 2 programs when you can just as well run 1.

I beleive Ableton are acutely aware of the need for midi. They cant get away from it as much as they would probably like to. My only worry there is that it gets implemented (Which it will I am 90% certain) it may take away the simplicity of Live, or its implemented in a haphazard fashion.

I think all we need is basic midi with a decent editor like the Drum, or Key edit page in Cubase. Ableton Dont go all fancy and weird just to be different. Use the tried and tested methods of the other apps (Stripped down of course) and then stamp your identity on it with a couple of Ableton Quirks :) and Please DONT implement Score facilities. Ok there may be a few Live users that would like this but really it wont be in the slightest bit useful for the majority.

Also I beleive the midi editing should be done in a third page, or it could be done the same as the waveform view at the bottom of the page but I dont beleive there is quite enough room there?

Give us midi, but keep it simple, take a little step first and it will be fine because I reckon that most will sequnce up their VST and render to audio pretty quickly??. The way I will use midi is to write say 8 tracks of drums and once Im happy I woul drender them to Audio, and work like that. In fact I could quite happily work away with 2 tracks of mid.. Easy :()

takashi

midi

Post by takashi » Wed May 14, 2003 6:45 pm

Anonymous wrote:It was said in the first post. Rewire is a drag AND IT IS as far as im concerned. Why run 2 programs when you can just as well run 1.