firing events with trigger finger

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
areinitz

firing events with trigger finger

Post by areinitz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:07 am

My trigger finger is automatically assigned to MIDI channels 10 and 11. I am trying to use the top three or four buttons (all on channel 11) to fire different events, but when i try to do the midi assign, it tries to re-allocate. How come no matter what, all of the top buttons are 11/117? What should i do to change this?

thanks

aaron

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:15 am

You need to make sure your midi CC#'s are not overlapping each other. They may have the same CC#. I believe there is 128 CC's and as far as note #'s you may beable to use a low low octave note #'s. I use to wonder the same thing and when i would assign a midi feature i would see another one get deleted. I hope that helps. Get the Novation SL25 and dont worry about assign midi anymore thats what im doing. Will make life much easier. Check it out!

Later
Dustin

nonnus

sl 25 encoders ?

Post by nonnus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:22 am

dbolt

i assume you have a sl25

do the rotary encoders work properly ?

ie: do they properly increment / decrement a parameter instead of making it jump if it has different value ?

nonnus

stallos

Post by stallos » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:31 am

not sure if its possible as I dont have a trigger finger but can you use the free M-Audio ENigma software with that device ?

I use for programming my x-session and its much easier than mucking around with the buttons. Gives you a GUI for setting CC values and channel numbers etc.

Download it from M-audio/Evolutions web site

cheers
stal

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Aaron, I'm 99.9% certain that what is happening is that the aftertouch of the pads - which is all the same cc# - is interfering with the notes. What you need to do is hit Ctrl/note mute to mute the controller values coming from the pads while assigning.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm

No I dont have the SL 25 yet. I was planning ordering today from Sweetwater.com. You mean does the encoders have latency because my Korg MK during Mackie Emulation has a bit of latency but nothing major. Has anyone had any other problems with the SL25.

Later

jbible

Post by jbible » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 pm

You need to program the TF pads to each have their own CC. Use Enigma to do so. Its a cinch.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:46 pm

whos got the goods on triggerfinger templates, post upppp
for the love of Live

nonnus

sl25 encoders

Post by nonnus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:34 pm

first of all please excuse me aaron for hacking your thread

i wish u luck ssetting up your trigger finger at your will !!

dbolt: about the sl25 encoders

no i was not refering to latency

this is something usual in midi, i think it has to do with the protocol itself...

i was refering to what happened with the remote 25,

it was advertised as having rotary encoders,

but novation never got them to work as so,

ie: increment or decrement a parameter that may be in any position without jumping - the main purpose of encoders imo

still after almost 3 year release you can only use them as usual controlers, featuring jumping behaviour with the added pain that it will take you 3 or 4 turns to get from min to max value

the weird part is that almost noone seems to care about this issue,
i never saw a review that exposed this and dont really remember any thread /post on the subject...although i am sure there were some...

bottom line is:

if you still havent bought the sl25 try to check the encoders functionality either with someone that has one or in some store

a simple test:
assign some control to a encoder (either with the automap or midilearn) move the control with the encoder,
then move it to a different position with the mouse,
then use the encoder and see if it jumps to the new value or if it moves smoothly according to the encoder

good luck, i hope novation got it right this time !!

nonnus