Is There Such a Slicer that will allow me To Drag and Drop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stale bread

Is There Such a Slicer that will allow me To Drag and Drop

Post by stale bread » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:15 am

i'm trying to find a slicer that will allow me to drag and drop from live right into the slicer and then use the slicer in a midi channel with-in Live?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:57 am

I've also been dying for a 'FL Slicer' type of device for 'Live'. That's the only reason I keep Fruity Loops on my machine. Just a nice simple small VSTi Slicer.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:24 am

Live can do that. If you record into the arrangement view you can take slices of audio and drag them to impulse.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am

T.I.M. wrote:Live can do that. If you record into the arrangement view you can take slices of audio and drag them to impulse.
The whole point of a slicer is that it is a workflow device.......you hear a sample that you would like to use chopped, you drag and drop in to slicer then use!

Not....
you hear a sample that you would like to use chopped, you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop.

That's about 10 chops in one sample.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 pm

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:49 pm

did any of you actually read his question???

stale, unfortunately I dont know of any app that will let you drag from the host to the vsti like that. Would be very usefull me thinks.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Phatmatic does all that, slice up to 16 loops, that are then mapped across your keyboard where you can play the slices, or just drag directly from phat to a midi track and voila, a new clip that plays the slices that you can totally mix up.

Except for the the dragging directly from Live phat looks to me like what he wants,

Is it realy that much more time consuming to load the sample from the vst? phat has a browser with preview and default locations for your most used directories.

What takes time is the individual 'slicing' not loading a sample, that takes like 10 seconds.

Kenfen

Post by Kenfen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:36 pm

This would be such a great thing for Live to include. I'd use it all the time. Sure, I can use the Arrangement window method, but I find it a bit tedious depending on what I'm trying to create and the subject loop.

I'd like to see a Slicer in Live because they'd use their great "slim line" approach and it would be quick and fast. Or put it as a feature of Simpler?

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:02 pm

ILTK wrote:Checked out PhatMatic Pro?

http://www.glaresoft.com/products/phatmatikpro/
+1
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Willyum wrote:
T.I.M. wrote:Live can do that. If you record into the arrangement view you can take slices of audio and drag them to impulse.
The whole point of a slicer is that it is a workflow device.......you hear a sample that you would like to use chopped, you drag and drop in to slicer then use!

Not....
you hear a sample that you would like to use chopped, you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop. you visualize the a chop beginning and end point, audibly audition chop points, cut, paste, into another device, arrange on a keyboard note, go back to sample for next chop.

That's about 10 chops in one sample.

Whats up with the extras? It isn't as exaggerated as you make it. Mr. Stalebread try it, might like it.

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:09 pm

ugh.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:12 pm

The reason I put it out there like that is because thats how many steps there are. The people who are interested in slicers are trying to avoid exactly what you are suggesting to do......this is not against you, it is against that drawn out process, so don't take it personal. by the time I finnish chopping up a sample, I've already forgotten what I wanted to do with it. If you get a chance, try the fruity slicer and you will see what a major difference it is for workflow.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Another quick tip while Ableton programs this slicer is to stretch your loop to your desired tempo (130)

import in Recycle @ (130)
turn the grid on

now you can go in and slice 4ths 8ths and 16ths on the dime - export all slices as audio files or Rex file

Phatmatik doesn't import Recycle files otherwise I'd give it a +2

someone said it did but when confronted to give me the formula they never responded - later they were found lying in a pool or urine and blood dazed and confused :twisted:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

KInetic

Post by KInetic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:07 pm

solar28

Post by solar28 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:30 pm

fxpansion's GURU will do this. Even though it's focused on drums, it can slice any AIFF or WAV file, and automatically maps to the keyboard and/or drum pad like trigger finger.

It automatically puts drums, snares, cymbals, and percussion in the correct places, (i.e. mapped on a 16 pad device) and will do the same for audio slies minus the drum layout.