[OT] Getting a bigger monitor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What option would you go with?

21" 1680x1050
19%
24" 1920x1200
81%
Bah! I'd stick with the lappy's built in monitor. I like sitting on the couch mostly anyways...
No votes

Total votes: 16

Lo-Fi Massahkah

[OT] Getting a bigger monitor

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:38 am

Hi,

I've been given the opportunity to buy a monitor at a fairly reduced price. It's my university that are offering us employees computers and peripherals with a sort of leasing/tax reduced prices kinda bargain.

So this is what I'm considering.

A HP 21" widescreen TFT with 1680x1050 optimal resolution (same as my laptop) and speakers. Measuring 46x59x26 cm (edited for typo).

or

A HP 24" widescreen TFT with 1920x1200 without speakers . Measuring 53x54x21.

I like the resolution of my laptop, and by getting the 21" I wouldn't be switching between resolutions when working stationary and on the go. On the other hand, since the 24" hasn't got any speakers. It will occupy about the same physical space on my desk, but give me more, More, MORE. Then again it more expensive. But they're both affordable deals - so the price is not really my main concern.

What would you do?

Regards,
Mikael
Last edited by Lo-Fi Massahkah on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:17 am

Do it! Your workflow will be so much smoother. To be able to see everything on the one monitor in the studio is great. I've got over 100 tracks in my main set, and with a 20" Apple Cinema Display it's not enough.

Saving up for the big 30 incher, and hoping for multiple monitor support in 6...

one

Post by one » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:55 pm

BUY IT! Higher resolution, and you really think about "nah"? :). Working here with 2x 19" and I would like to have a bigger screen so much! So, don't dare to think about ;).

youri

Post by youri » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:50 pm

If you got the space, buy the bigger one!
The thing is here: The bigger your monitor the better your workflow!

Hope it doesn't cost as much as this baby:
http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html

:wink:

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks guys!

I am working away from my desk quite a bit, though. But none of you seem to find the switching between resolutions a concern...?

Regards,
Mikael

youri

Post by youri » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Sorry, I don't have experience with different resolutions.
Can you test it before you buy?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:27 pm

youri wrote:Sorry, I don't have experience with different resolutions.
Can you test it before you buy?
Nope... Not really. My lappy can definitely drive it at 1920x1200 - that's no problem. I'm just thinking it would be convinient to always be at the same resolution.

Regards,
Mikael

youri

Post by youri » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:03 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 pm

youri wrote:Maybe this is helpfull:

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... adid=22470
Thanks, but no... :wink:

Since Live doesn't really work well over two monitors, that's not an issue. Rather the both monitors will mirror each other if used simultaniously. That's where it becomes weird with different resolutions... Also when switching from internal (when on the go) and external (when working at the desk) monitors.

Regards,
Mikael

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:01 pm

sort of a no brainer i think -- the more real estate the better, given tha tyou can afford it.
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:Since Live doesn't really work well over two monitors, that's not an issue. Rather the both monitors will mirror each other if used simultaniously. That's where it becomes weird with different resolutions... Also when switching from internal (when on the go) and external (when working at the desk) monitors.
actually, i'm using a pc and i have live on my main monitor and all my plugs open up in the other... once over they always pop up there. Plus, if you get two monitors of the same res (or even not) then you could happily take the live window and drag it across both monitors for one super long-ass session or arrangement grid.

if by "not work well" you meant will not show session and arrange at the same time, then yeah -- it won't do that, but otherwise you CAN work with two monitors quite nicely.

Hell i have sound forge in the other monitor too!
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:03 pm

atmofunk wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:Since Live doesn't really work well over two monitors, that's not an issue. Rather the both monitors will mirror each other if used simultaniously. That's where it becomes weird with different resolutions... Also when switching from internal (when on the go) and external (when working at the desk) monitors.
actually, i'm using a pc and i have live on my main monitor and all my plugs open up in the other... once over they always pop up there. Plus, if you get two monitors of the same res (or even not) then you could happily take the live window and drag it across both monitors for one super long-ass session or arrangement grid.
+1!
Running dual-screen off a laptop rules - I can have my reaktor-environments open on my 17" while still retaining all 1400 horizontal pixels of my laptop screen.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 am

Thanks for all the input. Seems to be no question on what to get, then...? :wink:

My "studio" is not laid out so that the lappy and external monitor will be close to each other. I have one mixing/patching desk and one playing area. At the moment I'll have my lappy setup in a docking bay at the "mixing" desk and I have a 17" 1280x1024 TFT at my playing desk. They're mirroring each other. This means that if I run at the lappy's native resolution I'll be scrolling the extra TFT, and if I run at 1280x1024 I'll get black borders on the lappy. Both mildly annoying scenarios. That's the reason why I'm leaning towards the 21" since it is the exact same resolution as my lappy.

Ah well, the company will demonstrate the different monitors some time during next week. Guess I'll take a look and see if the size and looks of them will persuade me. :D

Cheers,
Mikael

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:22 am

man, if you dont want it, buy it cheap, then sell it on ebay.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:26 am

Hmmm...

I see now that a few people have voted for the 21", but without stating their points. I'd like to hear your thoughts.. :)

Regards,
Mikael