Live 4.14 fits like the ripped pajamas you never threw away

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Live 4.14 fits like the ripped pajamas you never threw away

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:12 am

So it's been over a year since I fired up 4.14. I mainy did it because when my last project topped 50% on the CPU, I couldn't even make clip envelope edits smoothly, which annoyed me. So I decided on a possible hybrid solution...perhaps I'd perform off Live 4 but produce in Live 5...or perhaps the other way around...I dunno...I guess I was just looking for something old, tried and true.

Boy did it fit like the pajamas you never threw away and so glad you didn't. It's solid, it works hard, and it delivers. Now granted there's a lot of new shit I can't live without...new browser, saving clips, SoundWrecks for god's sake, midi output from a track, arpeggiator!!...but it really felt good to be back in Live 4.

For example, remember when the cursor in the arrange window played from where the little triangle was at the top, and only from that spot? Now it plays from wherever you last clicked! And remember when clicking someone on a clip didn't tell Live to start playing from that part of the clip...all it did was allow you to zoom in? :)

Anyways, I just wanted to put in a post and see how many of you are still using Live 4 in some fashion or other. For me, this experience leads me to feel like it's not a tool I'd leave behind just for a newer version...by any means.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:43 am

I totally hear you there Nebulae. Using 5.02 on OSX for production and 4.02 on OS9 for some production and every gig.

Much as I love the features in 5, on my 4 year old Tibook 800/OS9 Live 4 is a whole different world of fluidity and snappiness. And also I loves me some playhead scrubbin'

I'm hoping for great things once the Rev2 Macbooks come out. Then I'll be in like Flynn.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:47 am

Its nice to hear of people using 5 at home and 4 on stage as thats exactly what i've been thinking of doing. Thanks gentlemen for helping me make up my mind :)

ilia

Post by ilia » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:14 am

Bong Sau wrote:Its nice to hear of people using 5 at home and 4 on stage as thats exactly what i've been thinking of doing. Thanks gentlemen for helping me make up my mind :)
I do all my shows with Live 4. And since I don't want to spend time moving stuff around, I produce anything related to live performances in 4 as well.

Basically, 5 has been a studio sketch pad for some ideas that will come in handy when (if-?) it's really solid and smooth.

jbuonacc

Post by jbuonacc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:12 am

are some of those differences that were mentioned actual 'changes' that were made, or bugs? if they're changes, why would they do that?

(just started using Live, version 4...)

mercyplease

Re: Live 4.14 fits like the ripped pajamas you never threw away

Post by mercyplease » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26 am

nebulae wrote: For example, remember when the cursor in the arrange window played from where the little triangle was at the top, and only from that spot? Now it plays from wherever you last clicked! And remember when clicking someone on a clip didn't tell Live to start playing from that part of the clip...all it did was allow you to zoom in? :)
Interesting observation. I thought there was something I was doing wrong in regards the play position. Does anyone know why this was changed in version five and for what reason? It now seems highly illogical and counter productive

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:06 pm

This is how I feel about 3. There have been some changes to the way the arrange view works that I just don't agree with... 3 was perfect in a lot of ways, but I can't live without the fancy routing introduced in 4.. Meh!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:05 pm

ilia wrote:
Bong Sau wrote:Its nice to hear of people using 5 at home and 4 on stage as thats exactly what i've been thinking of doing. Thanks gentlemen for helping me make up my mind :)
I do all my shows with Live 4. And since I don't want to spend time moving stuff around, I produce anything related to live performances in 4 as well.

Basically, 5 has been a studio sketch pad for some ideas that will come in handy when (if-?) it's really solid and smooth.
Yep, me too - 5 in the studio and 4 onstage. And if Live 6 is going to be much heavier, then I won't upgrade unless I get a duo core or some other major hardware upgrade.
I like a lot of the features in 5 like the browser - but am watching the CPU meter like the fuel meter in a car........... :roll:

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 pm

Do people who just purchased 5 have access to version 4? Or are all new users out of luck when it comes to using them both for their strengths? (It would be nice if Ableton allowed users who purchase the latest version access to all previous versions - but I doubt that's the case.)

Mike Goodwin

Re: Live 4.14 fits like the ripped pajamas you never threw away

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:25 pm

mercyplease wrote:
nebulae wrote: For example, remember when the cursor in the arrange window played from where the little triangle was at the top, and only from that spot? Now it plays from wherever you last clicked! And remember when clicking someone on a clip didn't tell Live to start playing from that part of the clip...all it did was allow you to zoom in? :)
Interesting observation. I thought there was something I was doing wrong in regards the play position. Does anyone know why this was changed in version five and for what reason? It now seems highly illogical and counter productive
I dont know why they decided to do it but I for one love it. It allows me to jump around in a track in time on the fiy in a live situation. you just have to be sure of where your clicking. But I use it live often..

gomi

Post by gomi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm

yah i kind of wish i had bought 4.. i've used it, but i only own 5..

4 had way better latency for incoming audio then 5.. on the same
machine with the same specs..

in 5 it's is impossible for me to play guitar live through it using
an effect.... the latency is too much now.. 4 could go way lower..
waaayyy lower.

nebulae

Re: ..

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:48 pm

gomi wrote:yah i kind of wish i had bought 4.. i've used it, but i only own 5..

4 had way better latency for incoming audio then 5.. on the same
machine with the same specs..

in 5 it's is impossible for me to play guitar live through it using
an effect.... the latency is too much now.. 4 could go way lower..
waaayyy lower.
I'm sure if you asked Ableton for a copy of version 4, they would give it to you. FYI, my unlock file for v5 works to unlock v4.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:03 pm

nebulae wrote: I'm sure if you asked Ableton for a copy of version 4, they would give it to you. FYI, my unlock file for v5 works to unlock v4.
If that's true, then I wonder if the V5 serial would work to get to the download files? I will have to try it and see what happens.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm

huffcw wrote:
nebulae wrote: I'm sure if you asked Ableton for a copy of version 4, they would give it to you. FYI, my unlock file for v5 works to unlock v4.
If that's true, then I wonder if the V5 serial would work to get to the download files? I will have to try it and see what happens.
If not, then I'm sure you get the download from Ableton Support. I think they leave it on their FTP site anyways.

Cache

Post by Cache » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:56 pm

you can get version 4 from the Ableton site. i have downloaded it before.

you just need to register it as usual. (serial #s work for both 4 and 5)
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays