My Powerbook is not recognising any midi devices - HELP

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Tania Mann

My Powerbook is not recognising any midi devices - HELP

Post by Tania Mann » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:01 pm

My Powerbook is not recognising any of my midi devices.
It simply is not receiving midi

When I go to the Audio MIDI devices section it does not see the devices I have plugged in and then 'unexpectedly quits'. It's quit on me so many times now it is no longer 'unexpected' and more 'damn annoying'.

Anyway... I was trying to add a new MIDI device but this does seem like the impossible

I'm actually trying to get my Powerbook to see my UC-33. My G5 sees it no worries at all.
Strange thing with my powerbook, if I plug in say my Ozonic it sees it as an audio device and it works fine but it won't receive midi from it.....

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited

Tania
--------------------------------
www.taniamann.com
www.myspace.com/taniamann1

justin

Post by justin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 am

goto manufacturer website and check ur midi drivers. are they the latest version compatible with ur OS?

i had a similar thing happen after an apple system security update.

j

boatie

Post by boatie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:26 pm

there is a known issue with mac software update buggering with the audio/midi setup which I had on my power book: its related to your m-audio drivers

try this:

solution:
1. open the m-audio firewire driver installer. if you dont have it you can download it from the m-audio site.

2. the installer has an uninstall option within it. choose this and uninstall the driver.

3. restart

4. run the installer again, but this time install the driver.

5. restart.

I know its a hassle but it does work... you would think that in this day and age blah blah blah I can remember when all this was fields :roll:

i have these instructions as a bookmark in my browser!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 60&#676460

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:37 am

i would get strange midi occurences due to my usb powered hub in conjunction with certain controllers. it is finicky about the kontrol49 keyboard . it had to be plugged direct into my powerbook. if you are using a hub, try different plugging the cables in different places. i lucked upon something that works and it seems that if i try to change it , it cries like a baby.
COSMO'S GEAR: G4 Powerbook 1.5g-1.5ram/Motu 828mkII/Access Virus Indigo/Handsonic HPD15/Battery 2/Korg 01W/BCR and BCF2000/Event 20-20 bas/Lacie FW

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:48 am

repair permissions

Tania Mann

Post by Tania Mann » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Many thanks to all who replied here.... it's much appreciate...... I'm going to try this out

thanks again

tania
--------------------------------
www.taniamann.com
www.myspace.com/taniamann1

Cee.DoubleBass

Midi Connection Problem

Post by Cee.DoubleBass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Did you solve your problem? I have the thing going on now. my system profiler recognizes my midi devices, but audiomidi setup and live don´t. What did you do?

Carsten
Live 5.0.2, FW410, IBook G4 1,33 Ghz, OSX 10.3.4.

mcconaghy

Re: Midi Connection Problem

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:59 pm

Cee.DoubleBass wrote:Did you solve your problem? I have the thing going on now. my system profiler recognizes my midi devices, but audiomidi setup and live don´t. What did you do?

Carsten
Uninstall the drivers.
Reboot
Repair permissions
Install the drivers.
Reboot
Repair permissions.

Should work after that.

Cee.DoubleBass

Post by Cee.DoubleBass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:48 pm

Hm.. which drivers should uninstall? My devices like triggerFinger dont need any driver with OSX. I already repaired permissions. I installed the audiomidisetup again. Try it again?

Carsten
Live 5.0.2, FW410, IBook G4 1,33 Ghz, OSX 10.3.4.