Yes, DJs are aLIVE!. WTF?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cashman

Yes, DJs are aLIVE!. WTF?

Post by cashman » Tue May 30, 2006 1:04 am

I was recently directed to a link that brought me to the following site - http://www.djsarealive.com/.
I shall quote from the frontpage -
With the rising popularity of laptops and digital music files, live dance music is quickly becoming an oxymoron...
To be honest, I am instrumentalist coming to DJing through computers. I have a good friend who is a vinyl DJ and I have always admired how he works.
I used to think of house/ dance music DJs (whatever medium they used) as lesser musicians, after all, they are playing music that has already been created, but after seeing how my friend's playing affected people's mood I came to understand how a set of decks and a couple of bags of records could be considered an instrument.

Now, having discovered Live, I can see how real, live computer music can be made on stage and how musicianship, creativity, <insert whatever you call it here> can shine through in a way that can reach further than a set of decks and records (IMHO).

Although I haven't been a large club goer, I know that some various 'traditional' DJs use electronic equipment in their setup to enhance their sets. Cool, why not, but I cannot see the difference between this guy using a midi drum trigger and anyone else on this forum (or anywhere else) using one.

So, if the kids are dancing, what is the big deal? Why are some people so against what others see as progress?
After all, "If you don't know your past, you can't know your future."

Sorry, perhaps I just needed to air my confusion!
:roll: :?
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue May 30, 2006 2:17 am

It's because DJs running Live are using Windows.

er, sorry.... migrated topics.

I think it's the nature of music culture to be resistant to evident change. I can name a ton of classical music composers that were ridiculed for using new instruments or doing things in an unorthodox way, but in almost every case that change later proved to be progress. I see absolutely no reason for this trend to change now, regardless of the fact that we're talking about record players vs. laptops, and not sacbuts vs. trombones.

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue May 30, 2006 2:22 am

forming a band out of spite or negativity towards another way of performing the same type of music is a completely moronic self righteous cry for attention.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue May 30, 2006 4:21 am

It's an attack made by people who feel threatened by the changing technologies.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue May 30, 2006 5:24 am

People who have spent 10-20 years practicing their art and musicianship.

Kinda get annoyed when a 15yo spends 6 months buying vinyl then
presumes to tell them how things are.

Call it disgruntled failed musicians or whatever u like, I'd be more likely to
listen to the musician whos spent a great deal of time honing their art then
the 15yo who has a cool hair color.

-Ben

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Tue May 30, 2006 6:46 am

i agree with the ethics of the article in some ways, but i know one thing, that track sucks, i'd rather hear a laptop remixer with good music any day over that
for the love of Live

MattJacob

Post by MattJacob » Tue May 30, 2006 7:08 am

If they want to form their little band, fine.

But taking the anti laptop stance to gain publicity is just immature, and disrespectful to their fellow DJs.

I DJ with a laptop and am, in fact, not dead. Wow.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 30, 2006 7:19 am

MattJacob wrote:If they want to form their little band, fine.

But taking the anti laptop stance to gain publicity is just immature, and disrespectful to their fellow DJs.
And a moronic statement in itself, since they too use laptops! They just "look like a band". Wow... So... they're... a band. How innovative!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue May 30, 2006 7:36 am

Yes!
No?

Sorry what was the question?

manimal

Post by manimal » Tue May 30, 2006 9:52 am

and guess what
all there tunes can be downloaded from beatport
the place where most digital djs buy from
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

cashman

Post by cashman » Tue May 30, 2006 10:10 am

djsynchro wrote:Yes!
No?

Sorry what was the question?
If you're asking me, I didn't pose one.
Here's one for you - What's the answer? 42?
manimal wrote:and guess what
all there tunes can be downloaded from beatport
the place where most digital djs buy from
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Lol.
But at least their music is made by "real, live people" i.e. the DJs in the band aren't playing records, right? :wink:

"The DJ is dead, long live the DJ!"
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Sorry, I'm lost. What are they doing here that's so groundbreaking? Haven't bands been playing dance music live since the whole thing started?

So a bunch of DJs got bored playing records and wanted to play some (other?) instruments. Good luck to them. I don't see why they have to justify it to anyone.

Wasn't overly blown away, mind. I prefered seeing Black Strobe the other week. Maybe I'll like their next track more.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:25 pm

Although their motivation and attitudes may be somewhat misguided, I'm always pleased when DJs with talent aspire to become musicians.

quandry

Re: Yes, DJs are aLIVE!. WTF?

Post by quandry » Tue May 30, 2006 8:43 pm

cashman wrote:
Although I haven't been a large club goer, I know that some various 'traditional' DJs use electronic equipment in their setup to enhance their sets. Cool, why not, but I cannot see the difference between this guy using a midi drum trigger and anyone else on this forum (or anywhere else) using one.
The live video on that link cracked me up. Granted I haven't gone to many dj shows or dance club and tend to go see live bands, but I have never seen a) a tighter t-shirt b) someone clap their hands like that on stage or c) look like they are trying to make love to a filter or eq knob, I mean he was practically dry-humping his mixer. Knobs are cool and all, but that track wasn't worth getting that excited about, even if he's on all sorts of drugs and booze. But maybe someone should make a dj mixer with slot that you make love to, like Parnell's SNL car commercial:

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=432
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Tue May 30, 2006 8:56 pm

hambone1 wrote:Although their motivation and attitudes may be somewhat misguided, I'm always pleased when DJs with talent aspire to become musicians.
So a DJ is not counted as a musician? So when did mixing records ever become "not a musical instrument." I'm apposed to laptop djing, so I bought finalscratch and tell me that is not playing a musical instrument.[/u]