On-Load sample search function?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
koninc

On-Load sample search function?

Post by koninc » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 am

Hi,

I collaborate with other people writing music with Live. We've been working in Cubase, Reason, (Scream tracker, lol) and much other stuff over the years, and have got a fairly large and disorganized sample database. Additionally, due to dying hard drives, multiple users, it is common to load up a track from a few years ago, and find that Live is looking for a sample on F:\ or in another drive or directory that no longer exists.

Cubase has a 'search' button when it cannot find a sample, which does a simple filename search though some userdefinable folders - can Live do this too? Would save a heap of time when loading up these old (and gold!) tracks.

Thanks,

koninc

somejerk

Post by somejerk » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:03 pm

live has a search by file name built it in. rtfm.
somejerk.net / floridadnb.com

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:18 pm

somejerk wrote:rtfm.
stfu :wink:

just a simple answer will do..

koninc

Post by koninc » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:46 am

Its not even the right answer... Tell me to RTFM when you've learned to RTF'ing post...

I'm well aware of the search function in the Library. If I used that after I load, I have to

a) Find the samples that are missing (if you hit cancel on load then it doesnt tell you the rest of the filenames)

b) type them in.

c) Manually replace.

It would be a useful feature to have Live do this automatically when its LOADING, not require you to do it MANUALLY AFTER the fact.

This is what I'm asking for. Constructive posts welcomed.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:02 am

I think that if you put your sample folder in Live's library path,
the samples have to autoload?
Or you can choose a custom library path in the pref's..

Not sure if this works cause I never have any problems with it..

koninc

Post by koninc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:13 am

Thanks Poster, I tried your suggestion - unfortunately it doesnt seem to have any effect. Live will always complain it cant find the sample as referenced in the original .als file.

Manually doing a filename search and REPL on each track is really time consuming, but I guess Live doesnt have this functionality... Glad this is the feature wishlist forum.

koninc

M.Low

Re: On-Load sample search function?

Post by M.Low » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 pm

Yes, very important, even if you want to reorganize your audio data, you´ll get lost with LIVE.

I collaborate with other people writing music with Live. We've been working in Cubase, Reason, (Scream tracker, lol) and much other stuff over the years, and have got a fairly large and disorganized sample database. Additionally, due to dying hard drives, multiple users, it is common to load up a track from a few years ago, and find that Live is looking for a sample on F:\ or in another drive or directory that no longer exists.

Cubase has a 'search' button when it cannot find a sample, which does a simple filename search though some userdefinable folders - can Live do this too? Would save a heap of time when loading up these old (and gold!) tracks.

Thanks,

koninc[/quote]