The *cost* of the EIC...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

The *cost* of the EIC...?

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:19 am

I just read this statement in the Ableton press release about the SONiVOX partnership:
Ableton press release wrote:An initial set of multi-sampled instruments will ship free with Live 6 with additional Expansion Sound Sets to be released in the near future.
I also note from the LIve 6 upgrade pricing information that the difference in price between the Live 5 online vs. boxed upgrade is (as it has been for ages) $30. But that the price difference between the download and boxed upgrades for Live 6 will rise to a far more significant $100.

Given that Ableton are a truthful company I am assuming that the EIC is indeed free, but wonder what is included new in the Live 6 box (not in the Live 5 box, and not the core program) that accounts for the $70 extra charge?

Also I am interested to know about the "additional Expansion Sound Sets" that Ableton plan to market "in the near future" - can anyone advise how much will these cost?

THis information is obviously critical in terms of deciding whether to go for the download or boxed upgrade, and indeed whether to invest in Sampler as well.

THANKS in advance :D
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:27 am

I am curious about weather you get the EIC for free if you buy sampler. I can't imagine a sampler where you have to pay an additional 100$ for the library, but from what I gather on the site, it seems to look this way (boxed upgrade vs. download).

I intend to order the download update, but I want to buy sampler. I have no problem with the $200 price, but I sure as hell would expect the library to be included. I'm uncertain if this is the case though. Perhaps someone from Ableton could comment?

thanks,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:31 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote: I can't imagine a sampler where you have to pay an additional 100$ for the library, but from what I gather on the site, it seems to look this way (boxed upgrade vs. download).
True enough, but the point is the EIC is actually FREE in the box according to Ableton. That's why I am curious to know what the $100 pays for... :?

Yes, hopefully somebody can answer these questions please :D

Listen on Soundcloud

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:33 am

Headquest - great question. i noticed it too in the newsletter which seemed to contradict what I'd read. Interested to hear the answer.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:39 am

I think they mean it's free when you buy it new (in the box), but if you're upgrading, it's an extra $100 to get EIC (and manuals i guess), which is the difference.

But I think if you still have to pay the extra $100 to get the EIC when buying the sampler, that would be an extremely low-blow. No doubt EIC should come with sampler.

We'll have to see...

grb

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

No, there's still a $100 difference between online/boxed for brand new customers of Live 6, as opposed to the usual $30 difference for new customers of Live 5.

This sudden $70 increase affects everyone - both new customers and upgraders. That is why I am wondering what is included new, given that the EIC is free...

Listen on Soundcloud

hoffman2k

Re: The *cost* of the EIC...?

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:45 am

headquest wrote:I just read this statement in the Ableton press release about the SONiVOX partnership:
Ableton press release wrote:An initial set of multi-sampled instruments will ship free with Live 6 with additional Expansion Sound Sets to be released in the near future.
I also note from the LIve 6 upgrade pricing information that the difference in price between the Live 5 online vs. boxed upgrade is (as it has been for ages) $30. But that the price difference between the download and boxed upgrades for Live 6 will rise to a far more significant $100.

Given that Ableton are a truthful company I am assuming that the EIC is indeed free, but wonder what is included new in the Live 6 box (not in the Live 5 box, and not the core program) that accounts for the $70 extra charge?

Also I am interested to know about the "additional Expansion Sound Sets" that Ableton plan to market "in the near future" - can anyone advise how much will these cost?

THis information is obviously critical in terms of deciding whether to go for the download or boxed upgrade, and indeed whether to invest in Sampler as well.

The sonivox and EIC are 2 different things...
I can't point out the difference, but there's probably a reason why the sonivox thing is in a different section of the press statement.

You pay extra for the box, because it contains the EIC collection.
The sonivox stuff will probably be available as download.

At least thats how I understand it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:51 am

I want a boxed upgrade but not the EIC .
a shame they don't offer that option, because I don't really want to buy a collection of things I've not heard!

My experience of sample sets is -"one man's meat is another man's poison"
Last edited by Angstrom on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:51 am

So the free "initial set of multisampled instruments" from sonivox is NOT the EIC? :?

I'm still a little confused I'm afraid, so perhaps you can help more...

Robert Henke has already explained that the EIC multisamples can be loaded into Simpler for playback, but according to s.balm (Ableton), other multisamples can't.

So do you know - or can anybody else comment - whether the sonivox multisampled instruments can be loaded into Simpler, or will I need Sampler to use these free multisampled instruments?

Thanks in advance... 8)

Listen on Soundcloud

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:56 am

So if you buy sampler, you don't get the EIC, but you get some other library showing off it's features?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 am

headquest wrote:So the free "initial set of multisampled instruments" from sonivox is NOT the EIC? :?

I'm still a little confused I'm afraid, so perhaps you can help more...

Robert Henke has already explained that the EIC multisamples can be loaded into Simpler for playback, but according to s.balm (Ableton), other multisamples can't.

So do you know - or can anybody else comment - whether the sonivox multisampled instruments can be loaded into Simpler, or will I need Sampler to use these free multisampled instruments?

Thanks in advance... 8)
Honestly, I'm confused too.
Lets just say that the marketing dept. made a booboo.
I'll see if i can get this cleared up, because i've read a lot of different things by a lot of different people.

@angstrom

There was a time when you couldn't order the manual, but they adjusted to that.
If there's actually a demand for the box + manual, they'll probably supply.

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks hoffman2k - I appreciate your help clearing this up and look forward to hearing back from you if you have an answer later. 8)

Cheers.

Listen on Soundcloud

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:34 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
headquest wrote:I just read this statement in the Ableton press release about the SONiVOX partnership:

I can't point out the difference, but there's probably a reason why the sonivox thing is in a different section of the press statement.

The ostensibly 'free' EIC is made by Sonivox (sonic implants) according to info. on this site, they aren't different things - it's just product (EIC) & product manufacture (sonivox).
If the box now costs $70 more & one pays 'extra for the box, because it contains the EIC collection' - how can the EIC then be claimed to be free?
It is obviously another $70 charge on top of the cost of sampler ($200) if one wants some content fro the sampler.
Furthermore, judging from the very limited articulations for the strings it appears to be just a 'taster' set of sonivox's samples.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:42 pm

diverdee wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

The ostensibly 'free' EIC is made by Sonivox (sonic implants) according to info. on this site, they aren't different things - it's just product (EIC) & product manufacture (sonivox).
If the box now costs $70 more & one pays 'extra for the box, because it contains the EIC collection' - how can the EIC then be claimed to be free?
It is obviously another $70 charge on top of the cost of sampler ($200) if one wants some content fro the sampler.
Furthermore, judging from the very limited articulations for the strings it appears to be just a 'taster' set of sonivox's samples.
You see, the thing is. I've heard claims that the EIC library is for SIMPLER and would be compatible with SAMPLER.
In live 6 it's perfectly possible to make multi-instrument racks with SIMPLER.
While that would actually be harder with SAMPLER when it comes to instrument ensembles.

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Only actually editable with sampler though, if i'm correct -although it's obviously too early yet & a lot of this is speculation.
What isn't speculation though is the obvious $70 boxed set price wise (that's like over 200%!!!) when the only diiference seems to be that the boxed set contains an ostensibly 'free' sampleset.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be overly negative - I like Live, but that's the kind of thing that will quickly atract negative publicity & it looks bad, & htat's on top of another couple of niggles regarding pricing & live isntrument host compatability (or the lack therof) i.e. operator & sampler itself.