MAX no longer just for Macs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pixelmechanic

MAX no longer just for Macs

Post by pixelmechanic » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:27 am

http://www.cycling74.com/index.html

For those who homebrew their plugins!
pixelmechanic - sound vs. vision - appropriation vs. improvisation

www.pixelmechanics.com/sonic

oddible

Post by oddible » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:57 pm

:D Hoooooooooooorrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! :D

After putting my name on that email list years and years ago I was baffled when the announcement arrived this morning! I've been a PD user for years and it doesn't play well with other MIDI apps, very excited to finally use MAX/MSP.

Questions though...

How will this work in an Ableton Live environment? Does it support Rewire or is it a DXi or VST compatible? I imagine that there are many possible configurations.

And why in the world doesn't Cycling '74 have a modern forum system? I mean, who wants to wade through their mail archives? How expensive or hard would it be for them to set up phpBB or vBulletin? C'mon guys! [ Griping aside, I'm just very happy to finally try out this software that has nearly forced me to buy a MAC on numerous occasions. ;) ]

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:43 am

Still can't take Jitter away from us! (Not yet!) Mwahahaha...

-Alex

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:36 am

oddible wrote: Questions though...

How will this work in an Ableton Live environment? Does it support Rewire or is it a DXi or VST compatible? I imagine that there are many possible configurations.
Mac OS9 versions certainly allow rewire into Live, plus Plugmaker can generate VST plugins that run in Live (although you do need Pluggo Runtime files).

Windows XP and OS X users will have to wait for Pluggo to be ported before plugmaker is available though...

excited

Post by excited » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:18 pm

holy sh..! ;-)

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:28 am

The PC version is working great as a host for VSTi's/fx and as a Rewire host with Live. Pluggo's the next baby to move over.

Love it, waited what seems like an age for this! :D

metrothegnome

Post by metrothegnome » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Any live users have max/msp vst effects or stand alone machines for rewire to share? Their forum is a bit hard to dig through. Been waiting for awhile for this on. Just want to see some examples in live.

-gnome

oddible

Post by oddible » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:14 pm

metrothegnome wrote:Their forum is a bit hard to dig through.
They have a forum??? I thought it was just listserv?

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:26 pm

How do you guys get started with Max? I ask because my university course makes a lot of use of Max, and I want to get a headstart before my first year.

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 am

Amberience wrote:How do you guys get started with Max?
I spent some time playing with the examples and help files to see what had already been done and then started putting together some simple "toys" from these...

As with most things, what you need is the idea though! For example I use Pluggo's 'slice and dice' a lot but wanted something that had some more parameters to it so that I could control slice playback direction and pitch and amp envelope...

The other thing I do is write down flow charts of the processes involved and any maths I might need before I start bolting things together...it saves lots of unwiring and headaches later...

oddible

Post by oddible » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:14 am

Amberience wrote:How do you guys get started with Max?
Same here. They have a 30 day free trial during which you can get pretty deep into the EXTENSIVE tutorials. They also include a bunch of other sample patches that you can disassemble and cut and paste into your own patches to see how things work together. Also, the way the help system is designed, every help file is a MAX patch - which means you can just cut and paste right out of the help!

With MAX tho there are a lot of short cuts that will get you a lot of milage. Have to read most of the documentation to pick them up and probably won't take advantage of them until you've played with the program for a while and understand their usefulness.