how much difference will 1.25 GB to 2 GB RAM make?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
khenu

how much difference will 1.25 GB to 2 GB RAM make?

Post by khenu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:41 am

hi everyone,

i have a simple question. i'm wondering how much difference upgrading my laptop from 1.25 GB to 2.00 GB of RAM will make? if so, what would be different? i don't know if there is some threshold after which upgrading RAM makes not much difference?

also check out some of my works in progress, being made on ableton - indian classical meets drum and bass and dubstep:

http://www.myspace.com/rootsandwires

thanks,

k singh

www.rootsandwires.com

http://rootsandwires.blogspot.com/

inis

Post by inis » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:57 am

for use with live?
probably more than you think. What will it do? in a really simple explanation, it will be faster and handle more crap.

I think maxing out is always important, especially for doing stuff live. If you are going to just be working at home and arent really sure about spending the money, try changing you buffer size or something like that first. it all depends on if you are feeling held back right now. if you are accomplishing what you want and how you want, then i wouldnt bother.

khenu

Post by khenu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:13 am

thanks inis,

i'm sorry i wasn't more clear. yes, i am talking about for use with live. i am both producing on live and doing live performance... it works ok so far live, but things stutter with the production end of things (i'm using a lot of cpu intensive vst instruments and effects). it's not too expensive to buy the memory, but i just want to make sure it would be worth it to go from 1.25 to 2.0 gigs...

thanks,

k

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:36 am

khenu wrote:thanks inis,

i'm sorry i wasn't more clear. yes, i am talking about for use with live. i am both producing on live and doing live performance... it works ok so far live, but things stutter with the production end of things (i'm using a lot of cpu intensive vst instruments and effects). it's not too expensive to buy the memory, but i just want to make sure it would be worth it to go from 1.25 to 2.0 gigs...

thanks,

k
not too sure what platform you are on probably a pc by the sounds of it but anyway why dont u find a little app somewhere that shows you how much memory is currently used/free and see if you are sucking up what you have already.. I have 1.5 gigs on my powerbook and use a little app called menu metres and it nver uses more than a gig with what i do so there is no point in me upping the ram size here at least
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,