what cans should i get?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
queglay

what cans should i get?

Post by queglay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:31 am

hey all, I'm trying to decide what headphones I should be getting for production. I have a pair of hd25's but I cant wear them for hours without my ears getting hot.

also, what do you think about all this flat frequency response nonsense? from what i can tell there aren't any pro headphones out there that have truly flat frequency response. I know that really you shouldn't be producing with cans anyway, and that speakers will be more true, but im travelling and i need them.

heres what im trying to decide between so far

DT880
hd595
akg701

and if there are any others out there i haven't mentioned let me know! oh also a recomendation on a desktop amp might be handy too. i noticed on headphone.com com there are two akg packages -

-AKG K701's and Desktop Amp with DAC

-AKG K701's and Pimped Out Desktop with Desktop Power Supply

but i've never delved into desktop amps before, and i dont really know what the difference between those two options is.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:40 am

I've been using BOSE headphones for quite some time, I'm told they aren't perfect for the job but they are intensly comfortable and sound very much like my rokit krk8's

the only thing I can really fully recommend is that you get a pair of bad headphones to go along with your good headphones. if you plan on spending alot of time on them then it'll help you to know what someone on a bad headset might be hearing (or not hearing... bass?)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 am

Sony MDR7509HD, Shure E5 or Sensaphonics 2X-S
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:45 am

from http://www.johnvestman.com/secrets_of_mixing.htm :
Quick Tip: Get a pair of Grado SR80 headphones (about $100) but special-order the foam muff that comes with the SR60. This is important because the open-foam of the SR80 makes it sound too edgy and brittle, but the full-covered foam of the SR60 is just right. You can use a single hole-puncher for paper and punch one small hole in the center of the SR60 muff if you want a tiny bit more high end to come though. I use these cans every day in the mastering studio and for the small price you'll get big insights into your mix. I recommend these headphones for gaining an additional perspective, but not for fully mixing all the time. They also reveal distortion very nicely.
I want to try them.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Cone

Post by Cone » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 am

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. Closed, comfortable, loud, great bass. Pro all the way, but not expensive. Recommended.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 am

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:35 am

Cone wrote:Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. Closed, comfortable, loud, great bass. Pro all the way, but not expensive. Recommended.
I use the ATH-D40fs (even more bass!) and the AKG K240 Studios. Very different, and good for different jobs.

The K240s are VERY inefficient, so make sure you've got plenty of power for 'em. They're also very 'open', so not very useful if you're trying to isolate the output from others.

queglay

Post by queglay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone. hmm theres alot of choice here, more than i thought id have to choose from. damn choice, may be i should just roll dice.

ill have to read into all of these. oh yeah, the other thing i needed to check, is if im using a pro external soundcard, do they provide enough power and clean amplification for headphones? or should i still buy a headphone amp?

I've got a pair of the sony mdr-750's at work, but they make my ears hot so they dont fit the bill. couldn't complain about the sound though.
Last edited by queglay on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:26 pm

There's no way onboard sound could drive a pair of the K240s to a reasonable level. They're very inefficient. Some audio interfaces may have a decent headphone amp built in.

Go out and listen to lots of different headphones. It's a hell of a lot easier than auditioning PA!
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:34 pm

I have a pair of shure e5c's and I dont recommend using them for monitoring whilst yer making tunes.....I reckon you'll do your ears in.
when I want to use headphones, as opposed to speakers, I use a pair of sony mdr v900's cos I can toss them off my head quickly in the event of an ugly, ear shattering sound.

I use the e5c's for other duties like mixing or listening to something finished or close to it, but not for general tom-foolery with a synth or sampler where anything can happen
spreader of butter

queglay

Post by queglay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 pm

how comfortable are the AKG K240s vs the sony mdr-v900s? i think i might be down to these two. i dont care how much these headphones cost, i just want them right. unfortunately im living in the godamn dessert right now so trying them out isn't too much of an option.

and are all my original suggestions no good?

cheers again guys.

bluskreen

Post by bluskreen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:48 pm

i spent a lot of time researching & trying out headphones a while back. upon comparison to many other brands i went with Grado SR-125's & have been in love ever since.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr125.htm

The sound is amazing & they're very comfortable which was a big factor for me. I bought some Sennheiser's in the past & wound up returning them because they we're so uncomfortable. good luck headphone-hunting :wink: