Brian May (Queen) dislikes its new MacBook Pro....?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Brian May (Queen) dislikes its new MacBook Pro....?!

Post by Pasha » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:32 am

Hi

Today I have found this :

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

And I am shocked.
Pls comment on this and tell me if it's better I'd go for a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro.
Are U experiencing the same issues?
I got the money (2 years savings) and I want to spend it well.
:roll:

What's best for someone who only plays and records at home?
I use External Gear so I do not look at VST Synths, I use what's in live,
Simpler, Impulse (maybe I'll get Operator) sure I'll get EIC from Boxed Live 6.

New Core Duo 2 iMac ?
Old Core Duo iMac (very good rebates) ?
New 1.83 Mac Mini ?
MacBook ?
MacBook Pro ?

Pls Mac Gurus!!!!
:cry:
HEEEEEEELP....
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:38 am

whats the colours chat all about
spendnig all that cash and then moaning about folder colours. :lol:

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:43 am

I hope the heat melts him.

I would get the Macbook, because the Pro only has a few upgraded options that are only really good for image editing.

lummux

Post by lummux » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:47 am

Unfortunatly for Brian, he doesn't seem to realise that the cost of improved processing power is the consumption of more electrical power. So you will need a bigger battery and a bigger PSU. Tough luck.

Surely the folder colours issue is related to OSX, not the MBP

As far as the transferring of files is concerned, I wouldn't expect that to be any faster anyway. As for processing images, he doesn't say if he is running a UB app or an old app under Rosetta.

The heat is quite high, but these things are now called notebooks, not laptops, as they are now no longer meant for use on a lap.

I adore my MacBook Pro, I listened to "Too Much Love Will Kill You" on it, and it didn't moan...

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:47 am

fatrabbit wrote:I hope the heat melts him.

I would get the Macbook, because the Pro only has a few upgraded options that are only really good for image editing.
the macbooks only come as 13 inch though

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 am

Bri " ...And the WORST THING? the HEAT !! The AWFUL HEAT! " ....

Not an exerpt from an account of being stranded in the Gobi desert for a week...or a nightmare memory from a childhood spent working in blast furnaces...oh, no....

Much worse!

The intense, insufferable torture of a warm laptop!!!

Arggghhhhhhhhh!!! The HORROR!!!!

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:27 am

BUT -

Us: " ...No, the WORST THING?

the HAIR!!

The AWFUL HAIR! "

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:31 am

jeskola wrote:
fatrabbit wrote:I hope the heat melts him.

the macbooks only come as 13 inch though
On osnews.com (http://www.osnews.com), as a comment about Brian's article you can read :

"While I love the added software freedom that the Intel transition had brought, there are some definite hardware issues. During the PowerPC days apple could just clock the CPU lower to deal w/ heat and no one would know the difference. Now w/ Intel there are direct comparisons to be made to PC's and I think that is part of the issue. While the typical PC manufacturers are perfectly fine having 2" enclosures, Apple still insists on 1" or so. Heat becomes more of an issue in such a small enclosure. In other words I think Apple is trying to put the Core Duo in an enclosure that was not its intended target. Most of the thinner PC laptops are using the Ultra low voltage derivative, which Apple is clearly not. I for one would sacrifice some speed in order to have a cooler laptop. Also from what I understand (and I could be wrong here) the power management on the Core Duo does not clock down the CPU, but rather shuts down unused portions of the processor. On my G4 I was able to clock the chip down using the energy pref. to achieve a noticeable difference in temperature. The Core Duo method does not seem to help much with heat. Another issue that I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere is that the battery on my Macbook seems to take noticeably longer to charge than my old Powerbook. Overall I’m satisfied, but not wowed the way I was with my Powerbook so far as hardware quality goes."

Do you think the same applies to MacBooks?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:59 am

well the charging does take ages!

I wouldn't worry about the heat to much, just don't put it on your lap for extended periods of time..

It's a terrific machine IMHO :wink:

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:40 am

the heat under the hands after 10 minutes of work really sucks and leads to HYPERHIDROSIS ...Image ,
but i wonder how many mac ppl would admit it

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:14 pm

Brian says he's using Photoshop, so he's using Rosetta. No wonder he doesnt feel it's quicker than the G4. Should have waited for the UB, Bri! What were you expecting? A kind of magic increase in performance? Sounds like it's put you under pressure. You must want it all...

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:20 pm

My old model (G4) was intelligent enough to deal decently with the battery running down. It gave me a warning ... then, when the power was low enough it closed itslef down to a sleeping position and when the charger was inserted it sprang back to life. The new one is completely unhelpful. Usually I get no warning of the low battery (and because the new mains plug pulls out easily it often happens that the thing runs down before you realise) - it just suddenly DIES. Then - no matter how quick I am .... the whole thing needs to be restarted .... it has forgotten everything I was working on .... and wastes loads of my time while I watch it reload and try to find my saved work. No brain ... no stability .... totally unhelpful and unforgiving.

Isn't this a Mac OS problem? I was just discussing this issue in another thread recently, about the differences between power-saving features of Windows XP vs. MacOS.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:27 pm

dannyk wrote: You must want it all...
:lol: :lol:

and he probably wants it NOW!

to the 1st poster - you said you are only using it at home and as someone who has been using a laptop for about 3 years and hardly used it anywhere other than studio I am really starting to think I would rather have a moster beast of a desktop - like a quad or something

when using external controllers and sound cards etc then whatever you're using has to be plugged in, if you're not planning to gig I dont know if there's any point to a laptop

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:57 pm

my friend just got a macbook a few weeks ago. we use both my ibook and his macbook on a daily basis for recording. here is a couple of my observations.
the battery is bigger, i only noticed that because i was checking his out from the bottom. i checked out every square inch of it to see what all was nicer. like the magnetic latch. the whole thing is much thinner than my ibook.

his 13" widescreen macbook is not noticeably heavier than my 12" ibook. if anything it feels slightly lighter to me. it feels slightly heavier to him, so i'd guess they are about the same weight.

the power charger for his does not seem heavier to me. definately not to the extent that an extra battery and the charger would "break your back".

the magnetic power adapter connection is very strong and has not once come unplugged on its own. its so strong i gave it a good yank to make sure that it did break free without bringing down the computer, and it does.

the top of it, ie. keyboard, typing, mousing (trackpadding even) does not seem any hotter to me than my ibook has for the last 2 years. definately not burning my hands.
the bottom gets hotter, but no hotter than mine if i am doing a lot of stuff using the cd/dvd drive. no hotter than the dell laptop i have access to.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:18 pm

dannyk wrote: What were you expecting? A kind of magic increase in performance? Sounds like it's put you under pressure. You must want it all...
:lol:

didnt notice those 2!