how many people would buy sampler if it was 99 dollars

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
woodie

Post by woodie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:12 am

...and the funny thing is....alot of folks tend to think the Essentials Collections is for SAMPLER.....well, sorry to say, but it's for SIMPLER.

Here's a quote from the EIC page:

"Using Ableton's Simpler instrument, which is included with Live 6, the Essential Instrument Collection is ready to play right out of the box."

...and from what I understand, SAMPLER also comes with NO presets or samples unique to itself, so at $199.00 (or if you buy it with Live)...$165.00 - I hardly find that a good deal esp. considering what's already on the market.
Live 7.0.18 : www.tarnce.com

chis

Post by chis » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:19 am

woodie wrote:SAMPLER also comes with NO presets or samples unique to itself, so at $199.00 (or if you buy it with Live)...$165.00 - I hardly find that a good deal esp. considering what's already on the market.
Thankyou for elaborating. This is my only problem with Sampler's price: no EIC, no samples, just the plugin. This is a bit of a mis-step on Ableton's part!

(P.S. No I'm not rich. :?)

eldar

Post by eldar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:58 am

yep, i would... :wink:

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:52 am

Yes, you poor impoverished bastards! It's totally your own fault for not being rich! ... .... ....

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:24 pm

alex said all the sampler presets etc. will be available for download in a few days, like ~120MB, i think he said???

the difference of loading the EIC (or anything, for that matter) into sAmpler, rather than sImpler, is that you could edit the patches.

at least that's my understanding

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:40 pm

longjohns wrote:alex said all the sampler presets etc. will be available for download in a few days, like ~120MB, i think he said???

the difference of loading the EIC (or anything, for that matter) into sAmpler, rather than sImpler, is that you could edit the patches.

at least that's my understanding
120 mb is nothing.they should be giving us gigs worth of samples not megs.then again its kind of a good thing cause it will make you find your own samples.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:33 pm

Considering how user-driven and fairly-priced Ableton has been so far, this whole practice of selling proprietary add-ons, along with annual updates at 20-30% of the original price seems like a bad idea. The recent update structure is almost sorta kinda somewhat reminiscent of a subscription service [except that they don't disable previous versions with each new update]. Since purchasing Live in 2004, I've paid an average of $22.60 per month to use a current version of Live. If you don't factor in the original purchase price, it still works out to $10 a month at the current update rate. obviously, i'm cool with that or i wouldn't be spending my cash on it, but i'd hate to see the Abletons go any further in this direction. it would be REALLY lame if, in the future, they started parting out and charging extra for varying degrees of functionality, resulting in stripped-down versions like "Live Basic" "Live Studio" and "Live Pro." blech!

i'm no economist, but i would guess that if they didn't charge third-party plugin prices for their proprietary add-ons, they'd make a hell of a lot more money.

we'll see if the market rewards them for the Sampler/EIC pricing.
Last edited by dm_hawk on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..... . . . . . . . . .

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:08 pm

I would buy it at some point for $100 USD just to have it handy for quick work. I use Kontakt and it is all the sampler I will ever need. Simpler has it's own features it's true but for $200 USD I would expect at least a good set of presets. I did not do any serious listening tests but I did try loading a basic preset from the Kontakt library into sampler and Listened to them back and forth and sampler did not seem to sound clear as Kontakt. I would have to listen more but my first impression was that it just did not sound as good. This is not to say that I dont feel that it is not a usefull tool because I think it is and if I had a wack of cash I would own operator and Sampler. But plain and "simple" I dont.
Last edited by Mike Goodwin on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:09 pm

Can't use it in other apps so it's far too expensive. Although many people use L6 alone, many will use it in conjunction with another DAW and would expect to be able to use the plugins they have paid substantial money for in all their sequencers. Really they should have increased the price of L6 slightly and included them in the package. I would guess this added incentive to buy / upgrade to L6 because of the bundled products would bring in more revenue and generate more customer satisfaction than the sales as individual products.

Just my opinion. But I won't be buying Operator or Sampler at those prices. Ever.

D.
I invented coffee

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:12 pm

dm_hawk wrote:The recent update structure is basically a subscription service.
So you mean if people don't upgrade Live 6 to Live 7 in a years time their copy of Live 6 will stop working? ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:21 pm

Machinate wrote:
dm_hawk wrote:The recent update structure is basically a subscription service.
So you mean if people don't upgrade Live 6 to Live 7 in a years time their copy of Live 6 will stop working? ;)
nooooo... good point :roll:

edited: The recent update structure is almost sorta kinda somewhat reminiscent of a subscription service [except that they don't disable previous versions with each new update].

-d
..... . . . . . . . . .

ekko

Post by ekko » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Machinate wrote: So you mean if people don't upgrade Live 6 to Live 7 in a years time their copy of Live 6 will stop working? ;)
Hey, don't give them any ideas. :roll:

The way the Abes want people to bend over and take it for Operator and Sampler, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that crap on us, too.

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:10 pm

+1 :roll:
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:26 pm

I AM rich and let me tell you I didn't amass my vast fortune by blowing spare change on overpriced and under-featured software. :twisted:

njh

Post by njh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:30 am

melocoton wrote:I AM rich and let me tell you I didn't amass my vast fortune by blowing spare change on overpriced and under-featured software. :twisted:
or buying any software for that matter... how are you still using live 5.0b8?
dont that expire at some point?