MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
technatural

Re: fax

Post by technatural » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:17 pm

forge wrote:
no it's just a pretty good insight into the character of the poster, that's all
so anybody that get pissed, mad, or irritated is a bad character?
You don't know my character so please don't act like you do.

Bad characters say good things too and vice versa

Going on the personal level when it's about something technical says a lot about a character too.

deva

Post by deva » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:28 pm

headquest wrote:
Well I too have always been happy with the sound quality I personally get from Live. But it seems that two seperate magazines now call into question the integrity of Ableton's sound quality, plus of course Tarekith's tests on the warp modes, which suggest they are no good (although perhaps I misunderstood them...).

Hence my concern. My ears say everything is okay. But the *experts* are suggesting otherwise... :?

Do re-read Tarekith's tests and ingo's post too. It is very clear, and when used correctly, there is no difference from Live audio to other hosts.

What Ableton needs to do, is make it easier for the user to know how to bypass warping when it is not needed. Tarekith should not need to do tests and post them to the forum so users can understand how to use the software. That is Ableton's job and which they could improve at on this point, and these reviews may well bring that result.

btw, you have a core duo, you would be nuts not to upgrade to Live 6 and take advantage of the cpu power you have.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm

don't know if anyone's bothered, but I just finished the sound on sound review, and they loved it. especially dynamic tube...

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:21 pm

itook4lefts wrote:don't know if anyone's bothered, but I just finished the sound on sound review, and they loved it. especially dynamic tube...

What issue?

I just checked my online subscription and it looks like the Nov edition is up, but no Live 6 review in sight (it's my understanding that the onlis is same as the print version?)

STRATEGY

forge

Re: fax

Post by forge » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:43 pm

technatural wrote:
forge wrote:
no it's just a pretty good insight into the character of the poster, that's all
so anybody that get pissed, mad, or irritated is a bad character?
You don't know my character so please don't act like you do.

Bad characters say good things too and vice versa

Going on the personal level when it's about something technical says a lot about a character too.
:lol:

read what you said again dude - then tell me what you said was technical and not personal

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:01 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote: What issue?

I just checked my online subscription and it looks like the Nov edition is up, but no Live 6 review in sight (it's my understanding that the onlis is same as the print version?)

STRATEGY
Yes, it's in the UK November issue, published today. Just got it and read it - a very good review :)

(page 36 onwards).
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

eyeknow

Re: MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Post by eyeknow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:25 am

rolfski wrote:I just picked up the October issue of MusicTech magazine(
URggggggg, our stores (californi-a/us) just got that in...........IT'S FUCKING WRAPPED!!!!!!!!!

oooooooooooooo, that is a MAJOR pet peeve.......

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:29 am

Now, my ears tell me different things about different products, er, aside from the obvious stuff.

I am also under the impression that different people have different ears..........

Ya think personal opinion/taste has anything to do with all this?

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 am

bmp
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:39 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
itook4lefts wrote:don't know if anyone's bothered, but I just finished the sound on sound review, and they loved it. especially dynamic tube...

What issue?

STRATEGY
actually it IS online. I just got done reading it about 5 minutes ago.
pros
Powerful new Racks system for complex instrument and effects patches and live control.
Multi-core support brings huge performance gains.
New free-roaming MIDI control, with intelligent pick-up modes.
Warpable and editable video.
The best freeze and flatten system of any music package.
Multisampled instrument library that can be used with the basic Live package.
Dynamic Tube is brilliant.

cons
Rack programming could be more intuitive.
Controls assigned to Macros cannot subsequently be used directly.
Library a bit lacklustre in some areas.

summary
Live 6 is a major release with many cleverly implemented new features. Live remains the best choice for many live situations, and is now much more 'playable', with instrument Racks and much better MIDI control. Live 6 is also a mature composition environment, hard to beat for its fast and musical approach.
So as you can see, even though they are displeased with a few minor (negligible in my opinion) quirks, they had no complaints about the audio quality :D

And here's their closing statement:
In nearly all respects, Live 6 is a fantastic update. It has a broad range of new innovations that will be felt in all the diverse areas it's used. I'm happy to report that Live's fast and streamlined approach remains intact, and is in fact enhanced by the improved MIDI control. Racks are a fresh and effective take on the idea of creating complex, multi-Device patches, and the ability to switch and crossfade between different configurations is brilliant. This release makes Live considerably more flexible as a live tool beyond Clip playback. I think this update will also be the extra bit of encouragement needed for more people, myself included, to convert to using Live as their main environment for music composition.
Thumbs up from the SOS crew!!

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:15 pm

You guys may find this thread at Harmony-Central interesting:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... st19112456
- Oliver Chesler

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:22 pm

LiveXXX wrote:You guys may find this thread at Harmony-Central interesting:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... st19112456
I have the "automatically loop one shots" setting OFF, and just turn that on manually per clip (when I want it). I wonder if this affects the overall sound or just the sound of the individual clips...

I remember that article in SOS, Anderton talked about using Sonar to pre-treat loops and such, IIRC.

Can't wait to read the SOS review, unfortunately stores still have the Mixing Issue now. The Music Tech review wasn't bad at all, until that one dreaded paragraph towards the end. And it prety much said that Ableton blew them off when they addressed the concern to them...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:28 pm

The SOS review is all positive and no mention of audio quality... just the new features.

Live 6 is definetly a no brainer upgrade and personally the workflow is so good its more how to make it sound its best than "what other program sounds better".

you know what I mean?

Besides these guys have been so brilliant they must be aware if there are issues.
- Oliver Chesler

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:22 am

LiveXXX wrote:The SOS review is all positive and no mention of audio quality...
true. and if they had noticed anything negative regarding quality they would have surely mentioned it. So to me, no news is good news :)

anyways i havent read through the entire thread but has anyone considered something as simple as stretching/warping the necessary samples within live and then just boucning them to a new audio track?

i'm sure its not an innovative suggestion, I'm just mentioning what seems to be the most obvious way to take care of this without having to use any outside editors :lol:

Should work, right?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:47 am

aqua_tek wrote: anyways i havent read through the entire thread but has anyone considered something as simple as stretching/warping the necessary samples within live and then just boucning them to a new audio track?
Should work, right?
nope, I think perhaps you have misunderstood the issue.

All stretching and warping produces audible side effects (not just in Live, any time stretch)
So, if you used Lives stretch algo's and then rendered them to a wave you would just have a render with the same artefacts that were present in the 'Live' version. It's not the 'live' process which makes some extra noise it is the noise of the process. Like a phaser - it just makes that noise, you cant get around the noise by rendering the phaser !

'Offline' stretches and warps produce less noticable artefacts because the algo can take a bit more time over it. Live doesn't have anything like that at the moment.