Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Remove Crack-related posts?

Yes, it is irritating to have to see them
35%
No, I learn a lot from the profound wisdom of the crack users who proudly justify stealing from Ableton and legitmate users
65%

Total votes: 96

the last one

Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Post by the last one » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:45 am

I resent any mention of crack copies on this forum. Together those of us who pay for legitimate licences are directly subsidising the thieves who use crack copies.

I don't want to read about their inane arguments as to why they think they have some moral right to rip off both Ableton and also the legitimate supporters of Ableton who fund further development by paying for the licence.

If you can't afford it, you clearly should be spending your time getting a job rather than pfaffing around with Live.

Ableton, please censor these threads.

lummux

Post by lummux » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:55 am

I can't vote on this because neither of the options are suitable.

If you have censorship, you remove all rights to discussion, freedom of speech etc.

I believe that this board should stay unmoderated and uncensored. All or nothing. If you can have the pictures of poo, you can have discussions on software piracy.

Anybody who comes on this board promoting or encouraging pirate copies of Live usually ends up punished anyway (flamed, not given help with anything etc) so I don't see the point of censoring this.

my 2p's worth

even

Post by even » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 am

lummux wrote:I can't vote on this because neither of the options are suitable.

If you have censorship, you remove all rights to discussion, freedom of speech etc.

I believe that this board should stay unmoderated and uncensored. All or nothing. If you can have the pictures of poo, you can have discussions on software piracy.
+1

the last one

Post by the last one » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:08 am

well my 1ps worth is that the only conclusion to a discussion on piracy is that it is wrong. Thus the only purpose such threads have is to promote theft.

No argument about a luxury item that starts with "I steal it because ..." has any merit.

Even in an free democracy we don't permit public gatherings for criminals to openly promote the committing of the crime of theft of luxury goods (or software)

Why should we do it here? Let alone on the company's website.

We legitimate licence holders fund Ableton and the future of Live. Those who steal from us have no rights - they happily deny Ableton their rights, and then gloat about it on their website.

Away with them I say!
Last edited by the last one on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Re: Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Post by b0unce » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:09 am

the last one wrote:I resent any mention of crack copies on this forum. Together those of us who pay for legitimate licences are directly subsidising the thieves who use crack copies.

I don't want to read about their inane arguments as to why they think they have some moral right to rip off both Ableton and also the legitimate supporters of Ableton who fund further development by paying for the licence.

If you can't afford it, you clearly should be spending your time getting a job rather than pfaffing around with Live.

fuck off you fucking WANKER

(i've paid for my copy of live, by the way)
spreader of butter

Funkstar De Luxe

Re: Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:11 am

the last one wrote:I resent any mention of crack copies on this forum. Together those of us who pay for legitimate licences are directly subsidising the thieves who use crack copies.

fuck off you fucking PRICK

Morals are not universal, so don't go forcing yours upon everyone else.
Last edited by Funkstar De Luxe on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

the last one

Post by the last one » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:14 am

To the dungeon with the crack fiends!

And also to people who use profanity in rejecting my moral superiority!

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:18 am

the last one wrote:To the dungeon with the crack fiends!

And also to people who use profanity in rejecting my moral superiority!
Hitler thought he had moral superiority too :-D Seriously though, just don't click on the topics you don't want to read.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:34 am

i mean of course they should not allow links to cracked downloads, but deleting posts would not help the problem.
maybe they could use the information provided - I think it is illegal to help/protect a thief in most countries, so what does a guy say to the police if they ask him about his friend.

best

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:56 am

steff3 wrote:i mean of course they should not allow links to cracked downloads, but deleting posts would not help the problem.
maybe they could use the information provided - I think it is illegal to help/protect a thief in most countries, so what does a guy say to the police if they ask him about his friend.

best
It's their forum and their products, so they can do what they want. However I have the greatest respect form them not burying their heads in the sand and banning everyone who admits the existence of cracks.

I'm sure Ableton are making more than enough to get by, and generally the people who Warez would not buy the original product anyway - so it's not as big of a sales loss as you may think.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:58 am

not to mention -LOADS- of people go on to buy the product after using the crack for a while
spreader of butter

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Funkstar De Luxe wrote:I'm sure Ableton are making more than enough to get by, and generally the people who Warez would not buy the original product anyway - so it's not as big of a sales loss as you may think.
wanna make a bet?

the last one

Post by the last one » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Funkstar De Luxe wrote: I'm sure Ableton are making more than enough to get by

This certainty is based on your inside knowledge of Ableton's finances? What is their marketing budget? Monthly development and support cost? Do you actually know?
If 1000 people just paid to upgrade to Live 6 from 5, how many weeks of running costs do you think that covers?

More likely you are making crack-apologist assumptions based on no facts whatsoever.
Even if you are right, and Ableton is "making more than enough" is that any justification to steal from them? How do you decide how much enough is?

Funkstar De Luxe wrote: generally the people who Warez would not buy the original product anyway
vs
b0unce wrote: -LOADS- of people go on to buy the product after using the crack for a while
Clearly Funkstar and the other demographics expert, b0unce, totally contradict one another with their pro-crack arguments.

Funkstar De Luxe wrote: so it's not as big of a sales loss as you may think.
Where do you guys get your facts from, I'd love to know... You wouldn't just be making assumptions based on no knowledge or experience whatsoever by any chance?
Last edited by the last one on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
Funkstar De Luxe wrote:I'm sure Ableton are making more than enough to get by, and generally the people who Warez would not buy the original product anyway - so it's not as big of a sales loss as you may think.
wanna make a bet?
Erm... yes.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:29 pm

[quote="lummux"]I can't vote on this because neither of the options are suitable.

[/quote]

Sorry, I think there is the same error made like with the Hippies and freedom. Freedom of speech is not a value on its own. Of course freedom of speech valency, but it should not be considered as a value on its own. If one only tells lies and does harm with that I think it would be wrong to claim feedom of speech. (look at the governments of western countries over the last centuries)

best