Rack Improvements (Input Selection 4 Multi-Out Inst. Etc)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:21 pm

Good idea!!!

Hmm.... Routing inside of a rack would allow me to create some CoolInstantAnalogDubTapeDelayRack 8)

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 pm

bump

am is are

Post by am is are » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:00 am

count me in

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Pimp my rack please ableton.
Drums

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:23 pm

I second that, multi-out instruments are not well supported in racks.

would like crossfader support in racks to.

..and I get rendering problems actually with racks, some stuff plays fine but won't render. I contacted support but as usual it is like they do not want to know.

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:10 am

Count me in.
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:20 am

WaveRider wrote:I second that, multi-out instruments are not well supported in racks.

..and I get rendering problems actually with racks, some stuff plays fine but won't render. I contacted support but as usual it is like they do not want to know.
Hi Waverider,

In fact, I would say, we want to know. Can you send a simple set that demonstrates the problem to support@ableton.com, and write Amaury in the subject line so I know it is you? So i can reproduce that behaviour and we can correct it.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:56 pm

Amaury wrote:
WaveRider wrote:I second that, multi-out instruments are not well supported in racks.

Hi Waverider,

In fact, I would say, we want to know. Can you send a simple set that demonstrates the problem to support@ableton.com, and write Amaury in the subject line so I know it is you? So i can reproduce that behaviour and we can correct it.

Regards,
Amaury

hello sir,

wow you are real kind :)...... I will do that little work for you and send you a package with a simplified set (without so many vsts you probably don't have...) showcasing the bug.

thanks

agent_orange

Post by agent_orange » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:05 pm

For Crossfading, I use one Macro Knob for the Volume of two chains.
the trick is to invert the knob for one volume.
so you can turn one "macro knob" and the volume from chain 1 gets up / same time volume for chain 2 gets down.
For me, this works.
visit my blog: www.visionorange.com

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 am

yes, this would be great for racks improvement.
See here for my take on it (which no one replied to...maybe not explained well?)

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:13 am

Nice one onslaught,
I should also add that I noticed Macro dials (Or whatever they are called) can only be assigned to Live devices inside a rack not vst or au devices. This is sad if its the case, and the manual is very unclear (Poor as usual, as if written for dummys and not enough detail at all). Its gotta be sorted out too.
Edit: So I'm having problems with AU as VST Macro dials confirmed to work. Maybe its just me dunno though.
EDit: Sorted. Ignore the above. AUs work fine.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:53 am

Another thing about Macro dials.

When You are making a "presets like" macro you insert ie. three impulse devices and select different chains for it and then you can switch beetwen these three devices so it looks like you are changing patches/presets.

So when You map one of the macro knobs to ie. slot 8 decay parameter in every impulse and you are switching from one chain to another the macro knob stay at the same position.

There should be the way that macro knob position is updated from a device parameter when you switch a chain.

Something like relative value in MIDI controllers.

So You change a chain and macro knobs jump to desired position (read their positon from a device) - then when you start to tweak there is no jump of parameter etc.

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:39 am

Bumpy bump!

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Glad to see others with similar wishes on this subject as me. (Nice one again onslaught). I have been using racks more and more, and I really think there are some good ideas inside this post and linked to this post.
Again I'd really love to see the multi - out and multi - in (MultiTimbral) issue looked at. And for me the option to route midi (using just one track in session) to a multitimbral instruments many midi channels (Using a rack to set up : keyzones to instruments channels) would be great. Save space in session views and be very interesting for experimenting with instrument and fx ideas, opening up the rack concept further. I think a lot of the ideas talked about in this post would open up the racks concept further to be honest. I'm hoping ableton will see that these are good ideas too.
Thanks.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

womoma

Post by womoma » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:00 pm

More Macro control for nested racks.

This is really hard to explain, and as far as I know it cant be done. please bare with me.

I would like to be able to assign a macro, say "main macro", to control a macro in a nested rack, lets call it "nest macro".

"main macro" would not control "nested macro" until 64, and between 64 and 127 on "main macro" would control 1-127 on "nested macro" .......

It would have to be possible to invert this too.

This would allow for [amongst other things] a macro which had a flat signal at 64 [12 o clock] but controlled a low pass to the left, and a high pass to the right.

PLEEASE someone read this and try to get what I mean.