wobbly guitar track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Scott

wobbly guitar track

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:34 am

I imported an aif file of an acoustic guitar track into the Live Demo (not 1.5) and it sounds wobbly or like it has a slight vibrato effect on it but therre is no effects on it. Whats wrong? Is it the timestretching thats doing it. Can live just not handle tracks like this? I really hope it can because it is the coolest looping program for mac I have seen in a long time or ever.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:27 am

sounds like it's just the timestretching. this is normal. you'll notice this happens on sounds that are "plucky" like guitars, electric piano and even basses sometimes. Live is not to blame, it's just the nature of the wave it's stretching. string instruments make noise by vibration and resonance. when these waves are stretched you can here all those little vibrations. there is no real solution. it's the nature of timestretching and if you stretched the same loop in ProTools it would do the same exact thing. Sometimes lowering the gain in the clip view helps by reducing the size of those little bits. Also, the 4EQ effect helps if you can find the bad frequency and try to pull it out. Or, you could bring it into a graphical editor like Sound Forge or Peak and remove those little bits by hand. The way I do it is to transpose up or down till it sounds good, then run it through a pitch shifter to get it back to the original pitch. works good.