Echo Audiofire2 Audio Interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robin

Echo Audiofire2 Audio Interface

Post by robin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 am

Anyone picked one of these up yet? Seems an ideal alternative to the Echo Indigo PCMCIA card if you haven't got a card slot.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireW ... /index.php

It's been out a month in the US so I'm sure someone must've tried it.

cheers

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:51 am

Tried it 2-3 weeks ago, excellent, amazingly small, cheap, great sound. I wanted the 4 but once they showed me the 2 I knew- I want it. They had only one piece -reserved for press reviews so I coudnt take it, will hopefully get one this week. It is Indigo DJ/IO fusion, very clever design must have for those who like it portable and/or who dont want to take their precious and huge studio card to a gig.

robin

Post by robin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:08 am

rikhyray wrote:Tried it 2-3 weeks ago, excellent, amazingly small, cheap, great sound. I wanted the 4 but once they showed me the 2 I knew- I want it. They had only one piece -reserved for press reviews so I coudnt take it, will hopefully get one this week. It is Indigo DJ/IO fusion, very clever design must have for those who like it portable and/or who dont want to take their precious and huge studio card to a gig.
Thanks for that feedback rikhyray.

adi

Post by adi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:15 am

I use an AudioFire 12, and I can tell you that the converters on the line are top notch. I did a shootout between the audiofire 12 and an rme fireface 800 and the audiofire 12 came out equal or better in terms of conversion. Echo's failures are all in marketing -- their products are amazing, though.
Vista 64 Ultimate, Core i7 920, 12GB ram

robin

Post by robin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 am

adi wrote:I use an AudioFire 12, and I can tell you that the converters on the line are top notch. I did a shootout between the audiofire 12 and an rme fireface 800 and the audiofire 12 came out equal or better in terms of conversion. Echo's failures are all in marketing -- their products are amazing, though.
There is a great review of the Audiofire12 on the Sound on Sound site btw.

mrruby

Audiofire 2 is an instant classic!

Post by mrruby » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:51 pm

Seriously, I think love this interface. (but I won't marry it)
I had been using the EMU1616m on my Laptop- and was just curious about other possibilities.
I ended up with the audiofire2 and the 4 .
They share the same drivers and are able to run at low latency at the same time- lower than the Emu1616m.
I bought the 4 first then realized I needed another midi "in" and at $200 dollars I figured just add the 2 instead of a dedicated usb midi box

It's a small(sexy)box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

good for dj's as you have the main out and a separate headphone/cue out

just wanted to give it a cheer...a very different beast then the Emu1616m
the Audiofire takes up a lot less of the system resource but obviously has fewer in/outs....Sound quality wise probably not that different?

Peace

robin

Post by robin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to try the Audiofire2.

dCross

Post by dCross » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:27 pm

one really nice thing about the audiofire 2 is that the headphone jack is independently addressable, meaning you can use it as a dedicated cue channel for Live performance.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm

dCross wrote:one really nice thing about the audiofire 2 is that the headphone jack is independently addressable, meaning you can use it as a dedicated cue channel for Live performance.
True. I wouldn't be considering it otherwise (it's like the Indigo DJ in that respect).

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm

robin wrote:
dCross wrote:one really nice thing about the audiofire 2 is that the headphone jack is independently addressable, meaning you can use it as a dedicated cue channel for Live performance.
True. I wouldn't be considering it otherwise (it's like the Indigo DJ in that respect).
indeed!

pretty much a firewire indigo DJ with balanced main outs. fantastic price

adi wrote:I use an AudioFire 12, and I can tell you that the converters on the line are top notch. I did a shootout between the audiofire 12 and an rme fireface 800 and the audiofire 12 came out equal or better in terms of conversion.
I've read user reviews that say the same, and some that go the other way... like in this thread: http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=90496
(start at post #12 and go to the end)

I wonder what the real story is. Either way, the line is definitely killing the competition at the price points its offered at. I may pick up an AudioFire2 to save having to unrack one of my MIO 2882+DSP's for the (now) rare Live set.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:00 pm

anyone know where to pick this piece up in the US - GC Seattle doesn't have them

thanks

a

dCross

Post by dCross » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:03 pm

Adonis wrote:anyone know where to pick this piece up in the US - GC Seattle doesn't have them

thanks

a
does this help?

http://www.echoaudio.com/Sales/USA/Washington/index.php

btw - what's up with the new name?