Zoom H4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
capta1nA

Zoom H4

Post by capta1nA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:13 am

I just ordered one of these, sweetwater says it may take awhile :(

anybody gotten one yet?

deva

Post by deva » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:54 am

The local store in my town has them in stock. I just played with one today, but I ended up getting the Edirol R09.

The menus/buttons on the H4 were confusing and it is twice the size of the edirol but the thing that ended it for me is the H4 does not have manual gain control, just 3 switch settings low, medium, high.

I did like the dual XLR inputs. That was what had me leaning towards it in the first place.

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:02 am

ooh didn't know that. hmm

Dj Sly20

Post by Dj Sly20 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 am

I just had one...
I'm making my first test.
Everything work perfectly.
Many funny hours to come :D

Oups... Not sure if Live 6 support it...

hat

Post by hat » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 am

My friend has the Edirol, I just bought the Zoom.
Twice the size as the R-09? Hardly so, a wee-bit taller perhaps, but the Zoom definitely caters more to the musician/sampler enthusiast. The 4-track function is nice, but what sold me on the Zoom was the 2 extra XLR ins/DI, and the fact that it's also an audio interface, and a really good one at that. I've been tracking with it in Live all day, using the x-y mics as well as a 57 on a guitar amp, then using the DI for bass. Add the amp simulator and built-in effects and you have yourself a studio to go.

Sound quality: excellent.
Menus: not too bad once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to navigate.

It's seriously the best thing I've bought in years, making my own loops in the yard next door banging' on everything I see and dumpin the WAV's in Live. Love it.

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 pm

hat wrote: It's seriously the best thing I've bought in years, making my own loops in the yard next door banging' on everything I see and dumpin the WAV's in Live. Love it.
I like mine to, not as much as the monome 40h.
I've got a desk where I'm suppose to make music at, but I always end up doing music in my bed. Dragging all the stuff to it.

Anyhow, the only thing that annoyes the hell out if me is the little beeps you get when recordning low level noises/sounds running it on batteries. That sucks but otherwise I love the app.
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

udp

Post by udp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Got mine on Tuesday morning. Used it Tuesday night as back up recording for an honors concert band. The controls are a bit confusing, but the manual is clear and well written. There is manual gain control in the software in addition to the L,M,H controls. I was impressed with the quality of the recording. I think the learning cure to really master it's use may be a bit steep for some, but not for anyone here. So far I'm loving the H4. My only gripe is that the SD slot is hard to use for people with large fingers.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Been using a Sony Hi-MD for some time now and that is great, apart from
a couple of things.. No built in mic, and probably the worst flaw.. The Sony
SonicStage software. C`mon Sony.. had you made your MD`s able to operate with
drag and drop in the explorer/finder you would still had a fan in me.

So instead I bought the H4 today. Seems like a great recorder. I almost
went for the Edirol, but my first opinion are "Glad I didn`t" I mean.. this
baby seems to pack all the punch you need for recording and then some.
Stereo recording, 4 track, XLR inputs, guitar stuff for those that need it, up to
96 khz recording in 24 bit.

Looks like the Edirol R09 has had it`s butt kicked :)

and as a super bonus..
It also works as an USB audio interface with low latency ASIO drivers.

chris_dan

Post by chris_dan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 am

I've only seen the unit in print but for $300US you can't go wrong. Besides all the other features mentioned it also has a variety of Zoom guitar, bass and amp sims on board as well as dynamics on the input channels. If I had the cash I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Before I migrated all my stuff to Live (approx 1 yr ago) I was using the Zoom MRS-1266 hardware DAW. That machine ran each day for at least eight hours over a 2 year period and not once did it ever cause me to want to whip something against the wall. In a nutshell Zoom makes reliable gear so I would not hesitate to buy the H4.

Chris
Chris